Swap Autoinflators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greenhut

Registered
Reaction score
I dive a Reef Rider, but replaced the autoinflator with an Atomic SS1 (air integrated). Just picked up a Zeagle Stiletto for my wife, but the guy had been using air integrated and didnt have the standard autoinflator. Can I use the one from my Aeris Reef Rider? Just installed with a zip tie and pin?

Thanks!

jeff

What does air integrated computer has to do with the corrugated hose? I'm confused.

But yes, the SS1 will go onto any corrugated hose (assuming that you still kept the leftover adaptor kit parts that came with the original box).

One of my perpetual nightmares is having the inflator fall off the hose. If possible, use 2 Ty-Wraps and make sure they are the kind for scuba; with a stainless steel locking tab. Your LDS should have the proper ones.

I think I prefer the screw clamps.

If you lose that inflator off the hose during a cold water dive, things will get exciting. One can only hope it isn't a dive where there is no bottom (for all practical purposes).

Richard

I dive a Reef Rider, but replaced the autoinflator with an Atomic SS1 (air integrated). Just picked up a Zeagle Stiletto for my wife, but the guy had been using air integrated and didnt have the standard autoinflator. Can I use the one from my Aeris Reef Rider? Just installed with a zip tie and pin?

Thanks!

jeff

"No" is the simple answer to your question. Aeris uses the small diameter inflator (1/2"), and Zeagle uses the big one (3/4").

Last edited:
One of my perpetual nightmares is having the inflator fall off the hose. If possible, use 2 Ty-Wraps and make sure they are the kind for scuba; with a stainless steel locking tab. Your LDS should have the proper ones.

I think I prefer the screw clamps.

If you lose that inflator off the hose during a cold water dive, things will get exciting. One can only hope it isn't a dive where there is no bottom (for all practical purposes).

Richard

Hi Richard,

...can you help steer me to those special scuba SS locking tab zip ties ? I've been diving 8 yrs, have bought a ton of stuff both on the WWW and from many LDSs, and have never seen/heard of such a product.....so I'd like to check those special zip ties out. I did a GOOGLE search and came up with nothing other than some 100% SS zip ties.....I'm seeing nothing scuba-specific.....and I'm not interested in 100% SS zip ties anyway, as I'd have no way to cut off the excess length or cut it off my BC hose in the event I ever had to remove something for repair/replacement.

Thank you,

Karl

P.S. ....you're a little overly optmistic about the knowledge base on gear at most LDS.....I went to 2 local dive shops a few weeks ago to pick up some regular zip ties, both dive shops only had ONE size/length of zip tie in stock...ended up picking up 200 of them at a local electronics superstore instead.... BTW, both dive shops I went to are 'tech' dive shops......one's doing an Odessey/Truk trip 01/2010...the other is a KISS rebreather retailer...so even a 'professional' dive shop is clueless about these SS scuba zip ties.

If you've got clearance between the hose and the inflator, there's some nice thick zipties sold at HomeDepot. Black or Fluorescent Orange. In my store they're back by the outdoor lights.

Hi Richard,

...can you help steer me to those special scuba SS locking tab zip ties ? I've been diving 8 yrs, have bought a ton of stuff both on the WWW and from many LDSs, and have never seen/heard of such a product.....so I'd like to check those special zip ties out. I did a GOOGLE search and came up with nothing other than some 100% SS zip ties.....I'm seeing nothing scuba-specific.....and I'm not interested in 100% SS zip ties anyway, as I'd have no way to cut off the excess length or cut it off my BC hose in the event I ever had to remove something for repair/replacement.

Thank you,

Karl

P.S. ....you're a little overly optmistic about the knowledge base on gear at most LDS.....I went to 2 local dive shops a few weeks ago to pick up some regular zip ties, both dive shops only had ONE size/length of zip tie in stock...ended up picking up 200 of them at a local electronics superstore instead.... BTW, both dive shops I went to are 'tech' dive shops......one's doing an Odessey/Truk trip 01/2010...the other is a KISS rebreather retailer...so even a 'professional' dive shop is clueless about these SS scuba zip ties.

The zip ties you want are made by Thomas & Betts. These are most commonly foud at a commercial electrical wholesale house.

McMaster Carr also carries them. UV resistant, stainless locking tang.

Tobin

The zip ties you want are made by Thomas & Betts. These are most commonly foud at a commercial electrical wholesale house.

McMaster Carr also carries them. UV resistant, stainless locking tang.

Tobin

Thanks Tobin...... Richard was also kind enough to clue me into the Thomas & Betts ones, but I didn't know McMaster Carr also had them.

Thanks again,

Karl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom