Swift water diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ottomatik

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone dove any swiift and shallow rivers or streams as in gold hunting. If so, how ,and what gear, . Or any other recomendations,,,.............thanks

I have a couple of tips that may be useful.
I have done a fair amount for evidence recovery. It is useful to add additional weight to keep you on the bottom.
Generally speaking the current is slower on the bottom due to friction loss by water traveling along the bottom. It is also somewhat slower along the banks for the same reason. You can find slower water around the downstream sides of boulders, etc. that create an eddy. Avoid diving near trees or log jams that can create a strainer that will trap you by holding you against it. We also utilize metal rods or probes sharpened at one end to hold us in place in the current by sticking them into the bottom. Long bladed screwdrivers work good for this.

Stay as streamlined as you can to avoid drag.

NEVER dive in water faster than 2 knots or you will get hurt. A simple way to roughly calculate the speed of the water is noted below:

Measure 100 feet along an embankment with a measuring tape. Throw in a floating object at the starting point upriver and time how long it takes for the object to travel 100 feet.

60 seconds = 1.0 knot
30 seconds = 2.0 knots

Keep your feet and fins from getting wedged in cracks, under rocks etc. as the current can tumble you backwards and you can get stuck or pinned underwater. Believe me, when the current breaks the seal of your mask or activated the purge valve of your reg, you should not dive it.

If you find something good, don't tell anybody where you found it.

Thanks, this is the kind of advice I am looking for...............

james croft:
If you find something good, don't tell anybody where you found it.

Just tell a few of us....

I have seen dredges being used in a creek in Orange Co. before. I believe a permit is needed and that operation was probably illegal.

Back
Top Bottom