Swim Poll

As a dive pro, how much do you swim? "Regularly"=400 twice weekly or similar

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I swim pretty often, but rarely just a 400 or 800 for time like we did for the DM stamina tests.

My swimming is seasonal. I swim daily during the summer. I grew up in swim clubs & competing so it's second nature. Winter I always do the swims with my students, and I take my kids to the pool (but that involves something entirely different from swimming!) I believe a dive pro should maintain regular cardiovascular fitness of any kind. To me diving is a sport not a hobby (hobbies are sedentary activities imho)

My swimming is seasonal. I swim daily during the summer. I grew up in swim clubs & competing so it's second nature. Winter I always do the swims with my students, and I take my kids to the pool (but that involves something entirely different from swimming!) I believe a dive pro should maintain regular cardiovascular fitness of any kind. To me diving is a sport not a hobby (hobbies are sedentary activities imho)

Thanks for your input. I agree with you completely on the cardio. When you said "second nature" that made me think. In the 39 years since high school swim team I did tons of snorkelling and got OW cert. 5 years ago. But no swimming AT ALL. Other than my lack of interest in it after H.S., I was always prone to "swimmer's ear"- sometimes to a painful degree. So whenever I was at a motel pool or in the ocean, I would have had to wear ear plugs to swim properly (ei. not like a dork with head out of water side to side to keep both ears dry.). So since I had really no interest in swimming, I never had the ear plugs handy, and I didn't want to do the "dork" swim in public. SO.... I lost the "second nature". Along comes the DM tests and &*^%$&#!!! After a pool visit or 2 I began to get back the form that I had lost. Then it was a lot of training to get back to any decent swim time at age 56. After all that, I think I will retain the "second nature" the rest of my life. But if I don't keep in "swimming" shape, I wouldn't even attempt the 400 3 months from now. Cardio stuff only helps so much if I don't swim.

Yeah techique is huge. Mine is poor compared to when I was younger and swimming all the time. Still better than average, but not by as much anymore. Now that the neighborhood pool is open, I plan on making a few trips a week to put in some work on that technique. It'll make for a good change of pace.

So, about 67% said they either don't swim at all or do so only occasionally. Do you think that means these folks basically couldn't get a "3" on the 400 right now, or does it mean they may be in very good overall shape and still could get a "3"? Thought I would revive the poll anyway just to get some more votes.

I make my DMC's take the swim tests back to back. I do it with them, just to prove that it is not that hard if they are good swimmers. I enjoy testing my time with them. I did the 400 all backstroke last time. The look on faces was priceless.........

We had to do our's all in one evening. I did my 400 on my back as well - because that was the only way I could! I fully admit to not being a water baby.

I love swimming. I try to swim 100 laps in the community pool at least 3 times a week if I'm not diving. When DM'ing, pulling the flag (or being dragged by it in strong currents) is exercise enough.

Not having a swimming pool readily available, I never swim unless I end up being by a pool. However, I do 45 to 60 mins medium to high intensity cardio training (treadmill, elleptical trainer, stationary bike/road bike, X-country skiing (winter)) five times a week.

Back
Top Bottom