Swim Test?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My open water certification NASDS in 1976 required a swim test, treading water, AND an underwater swim - no equipment. I can't say if this was just the instructor (David House, the LDS, or NASDS).

I just looked at my manual and I'm not clear on this unless it's in an area I've overlooked. Two instructors I've worked with both said they were required to witness the swim test. However in confined water dive 4 where the skin dive is supposed to take place this evaluation can be done and performed by a certified assistant. I'll have to look a little closer later.

SSI standards require a watermanship evaluation which includes a 200 yard swim (untimed and no mask, etc.) and a 10 minute tread/float. The intent is to determine the comfort level of the student candidate in the water. I have actually had a few potential customers ask if swimming was required to become certified.

SSI standards require a watermanship evaluation which includes a 200 yard swim (untimed and no mask, etc.) and a 10 minute tread/float. The intent is to determine the comfort level of the student candidate in the water. I have actually had a few potential customers ask if swimming was required to become certified.

Actually, they do not have to know how to swim. In place of the 200yd swim, the 300 yard snorkle can be substituted.

Not to beat a dead seahorse or anything, but dont you think you need to know how to float to be able to snorkel?

Not to beat a dead seahorse or anything, but dont you think you need to know how to float to be able to snorkel?

I don't know about that, but I was snorkeling before I learned to swim.

You are right. My bad. My instructor always added a few extra things to all my courses. Not much extra effort required but the insight gained and experience was worth it. ANd it's why I'm going for YMCA instructor next spring. Higher standards to begin with and a little more freedom to structure the courses to the students.

Yeah, now we are talking, I am going to make mine swim a mile in boots with five pounds of lead on their tummy--drop the lead--you don't pass :11doh:. That should weed out the non swimmers. That kinda actually happened but it was a life guard swimming test:D. I guess nowadays life guards don't need to know how to swim either and the once prestigous WSI is probably PC, if you can spell swim, then your in. If it hurts, walk it off :wink: .

N

Back
Top Bottom