Swimming instead of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Put this into your mind first!!!!!

As new divers tend to find this as an aid. Instead it makes there diving less comfortable and enjoyable. Control the buoyancy use your legs more and avoid the hands.

Practice, Practice, Practice.!!!

Have fun diving and enjoy!!!!!

Last edited:
I find that usually people who use their hands are overweighted (as most new divers are) and they use them to compensate to stay off the bottom. I would suggest you either try to take some weight off (1 or 2 pounds at a time till you find the weight that works best for you), or putting a little more air in your BCD to keep you off the reef or bottom. Clasping your hands at your waist or in front of you will help you remember not to use them. If you find yourself still sinking add a little puff of air until you have control of your depth using just your breathing. Kick your legs slowly and deliberately to keep youself in the position you want. Practice will help your trim, but you have to stop using your hands before it becomes a habit you can't break. Good luck! You'll get there!

I would consider looking at your weighting and distribution of that weight. If you stop moving and try and just hover, and find yourself rolling to one side you will instinctively use your hands to remain stable.

Get those two things sorted out and you may find you feel the need to use your hands a lot less. Then try focusing on other stuff or interlocking your fingers etc.

Good luck!

I second that.

Back
Top Bottom