Switch to PADI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaCollin

Reaction score
I'm currently certified with ACUC and I'm planning on continueing my training by going for Dive master and eventually instructor. However, I visited a PADI dive shop out of town with some family looking to get certified and i found out i could switch my certification to PADI from ACUC for a 140 dollar fee and a quick pool session.

Thing is, I want to support my LDS and get certified DM and instructor through them with ACUC but I figured it may help me out to just do it through PADI since they're much better recognized around the world in places where id like to eventually work.

What do you guys think?

You can't switch your cert to PADI, if the shop is telling you that they are trying to take your money. Under PADI standards, you may go to the next highest certification with your current cert being recongnized by PADI.

shop is saying we can take a refresher and obtain a padi card, doubt the guy would tell us he can do it then not do so.

PADI is not more recognized. It is bigger and certainly in more places, but your ACUC card will be accepted as readily as a PADI card.

shop is saying we can take a refresher and obtain a padi card, doubt the guy would tell us he can do it then not do so.

As a PADI instructor I can guarantee there is no PADI crossover course and he can not legitimately certify you with a refresher. I would avoid that shop like the plague. There is no reason for you to do this and ACUC is recognized all over the world. Avoid this scam artist!

You can't switch your cert to PADI, if the shop is telling you that they are trying to take your money. Under PADI standards, you may go to the next highest certification with your current cert being recongnized by PADI.

They are telling correct. I am A YMCA diver and went to the next level with Padi. No fees no cross over deals just passed my exam.:D

As others have said there is no pool class and switch your cert crossover- there is also no need. Assuming your ACUC is an open water cert and you want to continue to DM/Instructor you would just take the next level with the agency you want to be with. For example I have a PADI Rescue Diver show up and he wants to be a NAUI DM I do not redo a rescue class he just starts at the next NAUI level the PADI rescue is accepted as a rescue cert just as your ACUC open water card is accepted by NAUI, PADI or the alphabet soup of other agencies out there.

Then he's ripping you off for the refresher course.

Either way, looking like you're getting hosed.

Same here. Did my OW with SDI and when I needed AOW to dive the Orikany got it through an LDS who only did PADI. No problemo.

Collin, PADI Standards clearly state you may not issue a certification card for the same level as another certifying agency, but the other agencies certification is recognized and you may certify to the next level. If the shop still tells you otherwise, tell them to read the standards. Unless you want to take the whole PADI OW course, then they can issue a card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom