Switching from SiTech Antares to... what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the replies, folks. Right now I'm looking hard at Waterproof Ultima, Si-Tech QuickGlove and Si-Tech GloveLock QCP since except for the darned Antares locking mechanism, I'm quite happy with the silicone seal ring system. I'm not very motivated to switch seals

Pro Ultima: Waterproof say it uses the same PU suit rings as Antares, so it installs directly on my suit. One of my clubmates have the Ultima installed on his new suit and says he's very happy with it.
Con Ultima: How safe is the seal without any locking mechanism? It seems a bit awkward to doff, and I've had enough hassle doffing my gloves for the rest of my diving life, thankyouverymuch.

Pro QuickGlove: Very easy doffing.
Con QuickGlove: How safe is the seal without any locking mechanism? Can it be installed directly on my suit? And will it interfere with my detachable neoprene cuffs when I want to use wetgloves?

Pro GloveLock: Sturdy, positive lock on the seal.
Con GloveLock: Can it be installed directly on my suit? And will it interfere with my detachable neoprene cuffs when I want to use wetgloves?

I've sent an email to Si-Tech asking those questions about the Si-Tech systems. Let's hope they'll reply.

I got a quick and very nice reply from a lady at Si-Tech. After clearing up a few misunderstandings, I understood that the only Si-Tech ring systems that are compatible with Waterproof's QuickSeal/Antares PU ring are Antares and Virgo. So, QuickGlove and GloveLock are out of the question, and my alternatives are Waterproof's Ultima or Si Tech's Virgo. The design of Virgo seems to build on GloveLock, so that's definitely a pro. And both Virgo and Ultima seem very easy to install without switching the PU rings that are glued into my suit. OTOH, I still don't know if the Virgo system allows me to re-attach the suit's neoprene cuffs if I want to use wetgloves for summer diving.

So I'm still undecided. I wonder if I can get to see the Virgo system IRL. That would've helped a lot.

Had the Quick Glove, switched to the GloveLock but did not like the large rings. Now use pullover gloves and have not had any leaks since. I made up some rings to help with self donning.

A little bit of googling - now that I know enough to use the right search terms - tells me that while the inner ring diameter of QuickGlove, GloveLock and QuickCuff is a little larger than that of the Quickseal/Antares/Virgo inner ring (90mm vs 87mm), both Virgo's and GloveLock's locking ring has an outer diameter of 130mm. That makes it even more more probable that SiTech has based the Virgo design on GloveLock, but less probable that I can reattach my neoprene cuffs with the Virgo system mounted.

So, it's either Ultima, or switching between the old oval rings for the summer season, and the Virgo ring system for the cold season. Because even in the summer, the water is cold enough that I'd like to cover the part of my seals that aren't covered by either my wetglove cuffs or my suit.

I'm probably guilty of some serious overthinking (here, too. My wife won't tell me if she thinks that my tendency to overthinking is an advantage or a liability...)

I got a quick and very nice reply from a lady at Si-Tech. After clearing up a few misunderstandings, I understood that the only Si-Tech ring systems that are compatible with Waterproof's QuickSeal/Antares PU ring are Antares and Virgo. So, QuickGlove and GloveLock are out of the question, and my alternatives are Waterproof's Ultima or Si Tech's Virgo. The design of Virgo seems to build on GloveLock, so that's definitely a pro. And both Virgo and Ultima seem very easy to install without switching the PU rings that are glued into my suit. OTOH, I still don't know if the Virgo system allows me to re-attach the suit's neoprene cuffs if I want to use wetgloves for summer diving.

So I'm still undecided. I wonder if I can get to see the Virgo system IRL. That would've helped a lot.
I used my Glovelock with my Antarres setup by just putting the Glovelock rings onto my wrist seals. Pretty much any system that uses rings to attach to the wrist seals should be doable. They may interfere with each other depending on your suits arm length.

If you haven't already, you could try asking around locally to see if anyone has the setups you're considering and see if they will let you try them out for a dive. That way you'll have a better idea if you like it or not before you spend money.

If you haven't already, you could try asking around locally to see if anyone has the setups you're considering and see if they will let you try them out for a dive.
One of my clubmates has the Ultima system, so that's no problem. I've already thought of talking to him. I don't know of anyone who has the Virgo system, though.

I removed the Antares oval rings from my Waterproof suit and popped in some old Diving Concepts rings. They fit perfectly. The Diving Concepts ring system is the same as the new Waterproof Ultima.

One of my clubmates has the Ultima system, so that's no problem. I've already thought of talking to him. I don't know of anyone who has the Virgo system, though.
Hope you will post your findings here. I'm more open to options, since my suit have regular latex seals at the moment, so modding will be necessary.

I too use KUBI's, zero complaints even at their price. They work, they don't leak which to me is priceless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom