Sydney in January - April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jasondcrawford

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm look at doing a semester exchange next year and, rightfully or not, am considering schools primarily on quality of diving :D .

One of the schools is in Sydney (the Australian School of General Management), and I wanted to get some opinions from the locals. I've read the forums and it seems that there is plenty of shorediving for the weekends, but I was hoping to get a bit more information on the typical conditions that time of year. What's the weather/vis like? is a 3mm good enough or will I need something warmer?

Also, on the living side of things, what's a 2 bedroom apartment going to set me back? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks scubaboard.

Oh, I'm looking to add a week or two to the beginning or end of the trip to hit the GBR -- would it be better to do that in december/january or in April/May?

Hi Jason. There are heaps of great dives to do in and around Sydney. I work for a dive shop called Abyss (Scuba Lessons & Dive Gear - Abyss Scuba Diving PADI IDC Sydney) which offers free DM led double shore dives every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. A couple of shops offer boat dives in and around the harbour. I consider sites around Botany Bay (near the airport) to be among the best. Sites 2-5 hours north and south of Sydney are exceptional as well.

Dive conditions greatly depend on weather, wind and tides. Today conditions range from 21 degrees on the surface to around 17-18 degrees at depth. The coldest Sydney gets in winter is 13-16 degrees. You might be okay with a steamer or hooded vest under your 3 mil suit. Most people dive in a 5 or 7 mil suit year round.

The middle of June is the Minke Whale season in the Great Barrier Reef. I recommend Mike Ball or Spirit of Freedom for GBR trips.

Regards,
David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom