Systematic use of oxygen analyzers by advanced divers ? [Poll].

Do you personally verify the percentage of oxygen of your dive cylinders ?

• n/a

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • No, and no plans to ever do that.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Have in the past, not anymore.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thinking about doing this eventually.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I verify from time to time.

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • I always verify.

Votes: 161 84.3%
  • Other (please specify).

Votes: 17 8.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you saying it didn't happen, that this is a lie?

Assuming that the person she is talking about was named Carlos, a whole bunch of people will jump in to tell you it did indeed happen.

Absolutely not. I'm saying that if it did happen (and I accept it did) the error was inexcusable.

If you have a whole bunch of tanks and the ability to make fills of your own, it is surprisingly easy to make mistakes, especially if you are using partial pressure blending.

That's like saying it's suprisingly easy to pack your parachute wrong. If you don't have the skill, organization, and ability to keep everything straight with such a critical task then you shouldn't be doing it. Sorry. Anything but perfection is simply sloppy.[/QUOTE]

To err is human.

Fundamentally people make mistakes. That is a given.

There are procedures to minimise (eliminate) mistakes.

Point 1 at Blending
The blender knows what he is attempting to blend. The proposed mix should be marked on the cylinder
The blender should make the pressure required (O2 and air for Nitrox, Helium, O2 and air for Helium) on the cylinder.
As each gas is added the required pressure should be marked through once it is confirmed.
If settling time is required, after adding the gas, the cylinders should be set aside, the pressure circled. On returning to the cylinder the pressure can be double checked, if required, additional gas added. Then the pressure is marked through, and the next gas added.
When I used to do trimix, after adding helium and O2, prior to adding air. I always used to confirm the pressure and O2 percentage at that stage, if it didn't match the calculation, it was vented down and we started again.
In the early days, Helium analysers where very expensive, and seldom available. So checking each stage of the mix was a fundamental principle.
Many years ago, although working part time for a shop, I was one of the principle blenders. Because we rigidly used the system of marking the cylinders target mix prior to blending, marking the target pressure for each gas. We could do a stage of the filling, and leave cylinders over night or the weekend for the other blender to finish.

At the end of the blending process the blender double checks the mix. Remarking the cylinders with the final mix (which should be the target mix).

Point 2. At pickup

The diver CHECKS the cylinder(s) confirming the correct mix, and the cylinder is appropriately labeled.
(They sign for it in the log, next to the blenders signature and mix analysis, adding there measurement, and signature).

Point 3 Directly prior to diving
On the boat, prior to fitting the regulators the cylinders are rechecked, confirming the cylinder labelling matches the ACTUAL mix.

At point 3 you have the final check, not only does this confirm the blender, got it right, it confirms the diver checked the cylinder at the pickup (shop) correctly. Most importantly, it confirms that the cylinder is the CORRECT cylinder, and that it has not been used and remixed, incorrectly labelled or swapped for a similar cylinder.
The more cylinders that are available, in storage, in the car, on the boat, the higher the risk that the cylinders can become confused. For those handling large numbers of cylinders, or storing them between dives, it significantly reduces mistakes in cylinder selection, accidental confusion, or even forgetting a cylinder has had a change of mix.

It is VERY VERY bad practice to fail to check the cylinder on the boat at assembly of your kit.

I have watched divers half way through checking and kit assembly be disturbed or distracted. The best of them stop, and start the procedure again, rechecking the mix, rechecking the labelling and fitting the reg's.

The procedures for multi cylinder diving - checking each and every cylinder, is as valid for a single cylinder dive.

Remember people make mistakes. Mitigation of this risk is achieved by proper procedures.

That means checking the cylinder just before you use it. You wouldn't get in the water not knowing if the cylinder had gas in it, not knowing if it was full, empty or half full. If you wouldn't gamble on a cylinder being empty or full, why would you gamble on the mix?
I would guess that we have at some point or other all seen a 'full' cylinder turn out to be empty when kitting up on the boat. If a simple error like that can occur, mixing errors can occur.

Absolutely not. I'm saying that if it did happen (and I accept it did) the error was inexcusable.

That's like saying it's suprisingly easy to pack your parachute wrong. If you don't have the skill, organization, and ability to keep everything straight with such a critical task then you shouldn't be doing it. Sorry. Anything but perfection is simply sloppy.
[/QUOTE]
No need for a reserve chute if you pack your own, I guess.

I apologize for using the word “always” I didn’t realize the post was going to picked apart word by word.

And you know this how? Because you do?

I can't imagine ever making a mistake like this. That's unbeliveably sloppy. A fill like that is a known danger. Not keeping it straight, forgetting it's not air? Come on.

That is exactly what happened. It was a fairly well-known incident at the time, I believe there Was a thread on here about it. I’ll look for it when I have a moment.

Was it the thread where the guy had a tank labeled as 100%, but he insisted it was only air and refused to check it. When they got him up they spot checked the tank and found that it really was 100%, just like the label said it was.

There is always the oddball scenario. You start arguing that and it starts to sound like the guy that got his CCW and wants to make a case that he should carry everywhere. Something bad could happen at any moment. If you know the shop, what and more importantly how they fill tanks, you can see that many times you are making a case for a scenario that really can't happen in the real world. Yes, your local shop, your local customer base, there could be that screw up. But that is where you are at. Where I am at, you are NOT going to find that.

I'm here, your there. Until you spend a couple decades here, you are not going to tell me what things here are like based on what is happening over there. I'm willing to accept that you live in a screwed up place where things like this can happen. I have not spent years in your neck of the woods, so I am not going to claim to be an expert in you problems. So I am not going to accept that you are an expert in my local area, even if you want to be.

No need for a reserve chute if you pack your own, I guess.

I would assume you would pack both.

Like to have the last (irrelevant) word much? ==>Ig

I always verify using my own analyzer. 100% of the time.

Even tanks of "air"?

What are those? :wink:

I never use "air". Always some percentage of nitrox.

What are those? :wink:

I never use "air". Always some percentage of nitrox.
I first answered "Always" . I don't breathe much air either. But when it is supposed to be air I don't check it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom