"T Bag" Splash Bag For Red

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marque

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had a shoot the other day in a pool, 12' deep using the "T Bag" rented from ASL (not sure who the manufacturer was. While I had one serious issue with it, the rest seem to be good quality. Just wondering what sort of results anyone else may have gotten with this splash bag.

We used an 18mm, 24mm, and 35mm Zeiss Super Speed lenses on it.

Thanks,
Marque

Last edited:
ASL is actually designing the bag, and it is being sold exclusively through Abel Cine Tech. I am curious, what was your serious issue with it?

The follow focus gear didn't have enough pressure to stay on any of the lenses. A little bit of movement on the side of the back and it would move a few mms to be disfunctional.

I will say that the monitor housing they have for the 5" Red LCD is really nice. It would be easier if there was a better way to attach it to the bag.

~Marque

Thats an important feature to have corrected, to say the least. I have yet to play with the bag. Tried to become a dealer for them but ASL is keeping it exclusive to Abel.

When I returned it to ASL they told me they just finished with some upgrades, but they didn't even consider the follow focus. I will say that the air knife is a great little additional feature but if the FF isn't good enough the entire package is worthless. Once they get the follow focus corrected its going to be a great product.

~Marque

On a side note...

Falling Into Water on Vimeo

this is one of the shots done with the Red in the T Bag splash bag. Unfortunately we ended up only really getting one take of everything because of the follow focus problem ate up sooooo much time that night.

Red one 35mm, this hasn't been color corrected yet.

~Marque

Nothing personal, but that was a little disappointing. But, I've heard people can work miracles in editing with raw RED footage.

Why do you think its disappointing?

They'll use the fall until she begins to upright herself in the water, then cut to the out of water shot, and then back to the end of her swimming off. Again this is just one shot (that will be broken up into 2) from a film. The color will be adjusted to make the pool water more blue, etc. I know it isn't something this board is used to seeing, and the topic was started looking for people's take on the T Bag.

~Marque

Sorry, it's not the shot, it's the footage that I felt was disappointing. I was expecting more from the RED. Resolution, color, latitude, etc.. Didn't really see anything that could not be done with a prosumer camcorder.

I imagine after the footage has been adjusted in editing it will be more impressive.

Yeah picture quality wise it was just imported into FCP, down rezed without any color being addressed and then a quick output via quicktime. FCP doesn't handle the RAW conversion well. Once its color corrected it will really pop.

This output was only done as a fast daily type deliverable. Because of the FF issues taking up so much time we didn't get to do much playback so this was done instead.

~Marque

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom