T-shots (UW Tripod use with various light spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My only issue now is how to handle a muddy/silt bottom. If the silt is a couple of feet deep how to steady the tripod? It has been suggested to use a "snowshoe" type fix (somehow afix the tripod to a triangular base that would support the tripod and camera by "floating" it on the silt without penetrating it much.) would love to hear others thoughts on this. I would hate to have only a couple of dives available and screw it up by kicking up too much silt.

"Snowshoe Like..."??? LOL...

Sounds like were passing the PIA point...

maybe a wide web base net attached to the end points on the tripods legs, but it's starting to sound that if the bottom is that bad, the silt will be too much anyway, just by moving around.. Otherwise a long legged tripod and just bury the legs into the silt until it's firm... but with the constant moving the camera around not to mentio dropping the legs into the silt.. it would have to be worth it and probably only 2-3 sites as everything settles etc...

Buy the postcard... heheh... (Just joking)

Actually, there wouldn't be "snow shows" in each leg, but instead a triangular platform forming a wider base that all the legs hook to. This would distribute the weight better to help prevent it sinking as well as to steady it. There is no current and no wave action where I intend to use it. As long as it is stable for the several seconds the shutter is open then I will be happy. I would bet there would be less silt stirred up with a wide base just sitting on the surface than with legs stuck down in the mud, especially if you want to move it around.

Mike

Ok, just a quick update.

I tried it and got mixed results..
Speeds were ranging from 1sec to 1/5th but to make it less painful for the first dive I was on the "Dreaded" Auto mode, figuring the camera will come up with some "standard" settings... the other problem was clicking it..

I'm thinking setting the auto Clicker and using that... would/might work better...
Put the camera down, gently for silting, set it where you want it and then click the auto timer.. that way it won't be "shaken/not stirred.."

For the most part, the pics came out blurred as in motion blur, but also too light or too dark and camera auto focus wasn't good... (had some specs on the inside of the housing...)
Exif:
Time: 1/8sec
F-stop: 5.6
Flash did fire on this one

untouched....

fpoole:
Ok, just a quick update. untouched....

and this one
Exif:
Time: 1/6 sec
F-stop: 5.6
Flash did fire on this one
untouched....[/QUOTE]

since it was in auto mode the f-stop was set at 5.6...not sure why, least I think I was in auto mode or maybe I locked the f-stop and let the camera pick the speed...
that might have been it...
Geesh, not very good at testing things... forget and don't write them down...

Anyway, need to work at it more, belive it will produce some kewl shots...

Back in a bit...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom