T2T forum entrance requirements change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exploration can be discussed.

We can discuss the agencies, and what they need to do better to serve the caves and the divers who enjoy them.

We can discuss organizations who are no longer on track with their mission.

instructors have been called out in here too

So, the purpose of this forum can be summarized as an opportunity to criticize agencies and instructors who don't meet our standards.

Anything else?

So, the purpose of this forum can be summarized as an opportunity to criticize agencies and instructors who don't meet our standards.

Anything else?

OK, I forgot to mention exploration.

I recently started an exploration thread in the regular DIR forum, and I linked it in a regional forum. The only clear result I can see from exposing that to the general public is that someone signed up for a UTD Essentials class because of an interest in joining the project. Perhaps someone can explain now what is so bad about that and what harm will come of it.

Anything else?

OK, I forgot to mention exploration.

...and thats OK, because even with the first two points the forum can scream for days at a time.

I recently started an exploration thread in the regular DIR forum, and I linked it in a regional forum. The only clear result I can see from exposing that to the general public is that someone signed up for a UTD Essentials class because of an interest in joining the project. Perhaps someone can explain now what is so bad about that and what harm will come of it.

Probably no harm with your sinkhole project... There are many people on these forums working on projects that are far more appealing as far as being sniped and almost surely far more dangerous. Don't take this as making light of your project.

Surely you've noticed that ALOT of the explorations that are released, aren't made publicly available until the explorers are finished. Even more just don't share at all :p

I do understand having a troll free area, but maybe I'm just confused. Is the T2T forum anything more than a clubhouse?

In some ways, no not really. There were a lot of complaints from participants in the Tech Diving Specialty Forum that there was too much Mod intervention, too many stupid responses and too much background noise from non-tech members. People wanted to be able to discuss freely among their peers. T2T was the result of all that.

Prolly not many of us... I see the T2T for an area of other areas of discussion... not much for questions.
There's not much discussion either. As mentioned previously some of that dealing with exploration etc, takes place by text, or pm or FB etc.

it yu want to see this area rock open the membership more, make it so the threads are still hidden from casual search and turn off the swearing filter and tell the mods that we can yell and scream at each other here.

Right now TDS has gotten family friendly and seems super slow compared to days of old.

Most of this is in place already. The opening the membership pool slightly is the discussion on the table. Threads are hidden from view unless you're a member of this forum. The swearing filter is global, so I can't shut it off in this forum. People can still find creative ways to express themselves, but I don't think we want it to degenerate into a totally crass environment.

Mods are blocked from here unless they are members. Those that are T2T members are not here as mods. IF moderation is needed for some reason, I'm here and Doppler and Jim Wyatt also have some mod powers back here. I might make some revisions to that if needed, but that's how it currently stands.

If you want to yell and scream, knock yourselves out.

...and thats OK, because even with the first two points the forum can scream for days at a time.

The way it's been screaming for the past months, I suppose.

If you want more, crappy traffic... there's other forums for that.

I mostly lurk on T2T, but it is one of the few forums where I don't feel like I have to laboriously seperate the "wheat from the chaff". The posters in this forum are all divers of a level which I hold in high regard, and I respect all of their opinions as a result. Since I infrequently contribute to the discussions in T2T, I am not sure how much water my opinion holds, but I would not relish the thought of decreasing the level of certification required to join T2T. I understand T2T sees little traffic, but what is here is worthy of spending the time reading. I read all the posts on T2T. (When I have nothing beter to do, I go over to the whine & cheeze, and try to insult idocsteve :)).

Cave Diver:
) There are people here that might be allowed because they have trimix training, but only a cavern cert. What's to stop them from diving Eagles Nest because they read about it here and think the biggest issue is depth?

Good point. I hadn't thought about that. And history shows us that a couples of trimix divers without any overhead training can get themselves killed at EN. We can't police everyone, but we need some sort of line. And even though I don't do it, I know there are cave instructors that do offer cave training to non-deco trained divers. While I don't see that as an issue in Mexico, most of the dives in the cave course I offer end up with a decompression obligation. So they either take the class first or schedule a couple extra days for decompression discussion and skills, pay extra, but don't get a card. When I'm teaching cave diving, I don't hwave time to teach deco, too

Those 2 yaaahoos weren't inspired by the internet (although they could have been) they were "inspired" by their standards breaking yet "famous" instructor. Even though he supposedly failed them.

While there's obviously various themes of "too far too fast" around here we've got ALOT of the opposite problem, seemingly endless practicing.

Stupid will still find a way, regardless of the amount of restrictions imposed on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom