TacOps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(totally off topic!)

hi, gary - i had just been thinking i hadn't seen you on lately & hoping you were ok!

(back to regularly scheduled thread)

:D Oh, you fire guys are winnies.:D:rofl3: Try getting out of your boots, duty belt and vest at 100+. The embarrassing part is when we get on scene and fly out of the car half dressed and we get canceled. :rofl3:

Gary D.

You left out the part about us trying to finish our coffee at the same time because we know once we get on scene it is going to get cold :)

You left out the part about us trying to finish our coffee at the same time because we know once we get on scene it is going to get cold :)

The gear shift works well for holding donuts. just keep some wipes in the car to get the glazing off. :eyebrow:

Gary D.

:D Oh, you fire guys are winnies.

That was a typo... Gary meant to type "winners"

Gary, thank you!

I am wondering though if you have wondered how these winners get into the dry suits with their seat belts on...

That is a pretty neat trick that is only taught at the fire academy, and it only adds another 15-30 seconds to donn time. For the apparatus driver, maybe 60-90 seconds. If you want to view the instructional video, let me know off list and I will send you a hyperlink. :D

Someone must be using them, everyone is sold out. OMS has had them backordered for months

Or,they have not actually been produced beyond the prototype. Just because somebody shows something off at Dema and takes orders does not mean they actually have the product in hand. :wink:

Or,they have not actually been produced beyond the prototype. Just because somebody shows something off at Dema and takes orders does not mean they actually have the product in hand. :wink:

LeisurePro had them in stock as did a couple other shops. LeisurePro had black ones, but no red ones, in stock about a 3 months ago, they now have out of stock for both on their webpage.

I agree with Blades that the 13 cu ft tank is too small to deploy for rescue work and that larger capacity tanks is the real answer. Larger capacity tanks are now available for front mount systems that are double the capacity of the 13 cu ft, specifically the 27-30 cu ft steel tanks. These tanks still have maintain a compact profile, but have ample life support for shallow water operations. Coupled with a bail out, you are looking at close to 50 cu ft of air. With all chest mount dive systems, a traditional full size (63,80 cu ft, et) back mount tank capability for additional life support is still needed.

Storage space is a premium for dive rescue professionals and was the key factor in the development of a compact dive rescue system. Speed of donning is secondary to having the space to store a deployable dive rescue dive system in the first place. The reality became either we (rapid dive rescue professional) have a compact dive rescue system that we can carry with us, or we show up to a scene without any dive rescue capability. It should be noted that the Rapid Diver system was developed/evolved by PSD professionals that needed a compact dive system that would fit in their vehicle whether it be a patrol car, rescue boat, helo, or even full size fire/rescue trucks for first-on rapid dive rescue response.

The Rapid Diver system is the only fully patented and trademarked chest mount dive system and is now the gold standard for rapid response dive rescue professionals. The Rapid Diver was first introduced at DEMA in 2005 and comes with a 27 cu ft steel front tank as standard and with a full size back mount tank capability on the back pad (50,63,80 cu ft, et). There are 1000's of units deployed since it's introduction in 2005 and has been used in many successful rescues. The Rapid Diver was the dive rescue gear of choice of the Long Beach Fire Dept Dive Rescue Team during Travis Pastrana's world record jump off of the Long Beach Pier New Year's Eve.

The type of dive rescue scenario the Rapid excels at is the rescue of occupants of vehicles that find their way into shallow water (less then 10'). In situations where the occupants are unable to open the door/window to get out safely. There are approximately 1500 water related vehicle accidents a result in 600 drowning's per year, most in 3 ft or less from the surface.

I can quote one Fire Chief (Captain) that now has a fully equipped dive rescue capability, that said "If you show up to a water event without a dive rescue capability, you are not honoring your oath of rescue".

2009 was a great year, and I am looking forward to assisting the more teams enhance their dive rescue capabilities in 2010. If you have any questions, or want a list of dept's using the Rapid Diver system, feel free PM me directly.

Chris

Rapid Diver just laid out what the compact units are useful for. Quick dives 10’ or less in depth and I might add in warmer waters. Our primary goal, unlike Rapid Diver is speed as we have issue cars and space is not an issue. We are able to keep our gear fully set up 24-7-365.

Up here in my territory they would be almost useless. The majority of our dives even off the boat ramps are deep dives with some exceeding 500’ just 50’ from the ramp.

The other issue is the water temps. During the police academy the FNG’s get a chance to be macho and perform a victim rescue off a local boat dock. Prior to the exercise they are all gung-ho ready to strut their stuff. After hitting the water, some a bit longer than others, they all agree with out being properly outfitted they themselves have become victims compounding the rescue efforts for then rest of us.

Some of our lakes can hit 80+ degrees during the summer months but that is only the first couple of feet. Below that they remain cold all year long requiring thermal protection.

Gary D.

Gary,

Thank you for mentioning that...Yes, shallow water, and most submerged vehicles accidents are in Florida, although other states are not far behind.

Here is an article that everyone should read that has the national statistics on submerged vehicles listed:

Sink to your death: Agencies do little to ensure motorists escape sinking cars POLLS Naples Daily News

I have noticed more dive teams working on getting better training and equipment, unfortunately, there have been some missed opportunities this past year...

2 fire captains disciplined in Fla. victim search

Not having a rapid dive response capability could also lead to:

Town and Fire Department Sued - Fire-Forums.Com

We have an extensive training/demo/show schedule for 2011. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or would like an equipment demo.

More about the Rapid Diver at the Official Rapid Diver Forum: The Official RAPID DIVER Forum

Chris

The unit comes with a soft back plate that you can attach a wing and tank to. This would give redundant air and flotation from the horse collar/pony. The "back plate" detaches from the horse collar, allowing the horse collar to be used separately

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom