Tahiti Itinerary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for your feedback. Much appreciated.

ScubaJim and Steve your reports were very enjoyable and insightful.

So after hearing your thoughts we have reconsidered our first options.

If anyone of you wouldn’t mind could you email me the cost of some packages. ScubaJim?

It seems you all have spent a great amount of time there and we would like to get the best bang for the buck.

svanbooven@sacbee.com

Also, I haven't seen much in the way of night diving. Is that something that is available? What about night snorkling? Any thoughts on that?

Scuba Jim once bubbled...
If you are going to Bora Bora you are best off being on one of the motus (low coral islands) offshore or at one of the resorts that is not bang up against the road. The Sofitel seemed set back from them road and a little quiter, probably (confirmation, please Scott!)

One thing you also need to take into consideration is that you are only being offered resorts on the high islands, and not out at thr atolls of the Tuamotus. I am sure Scott & Steve will confirm that places like Manihi and Rangiroa are magical and offer a completely different kind of atmosphere, both above & below water.

If you have some more Qs then I am sure that between the "3 Stooges" we can answer them! :) [/B]

Yes the Sofitel on the Island of Bora Bora looked really nice and was off the road a bit ..... It was a rather large resort and I don’t think .... (not sure of this) .... but I recall meeting up with some folks and the overwaters there were more like bungalows right on the waters edge .....maybe they had a bad bungalow!!! they have the pool, beaches, water toys, restaurant, gift shop w/pearls:eek: and so on.....guests at the Marara could make reservations to dine on the Motu (guests at the Motu had full use of the facilities at Marara) The General Manager of both these properties was an absolute Angle ......... She made us feel so good to be there .... a very special person her name is Christine ... Here is a picture of the Motu as we approached from the Main Island ......

Here is a picture of thatLemon shark that Jim was talking about .....not quite in your face like Steve's ....

Manihi....... Ah yes my personal favorite......Like Jim said the overwater Bungalows here would be worth it if your looking for sea life.....First of all they are a tad less expensive and alot more stuff underwater for snorkeling right off the old deck.....Clams, Parrotfish, Grouper, butterfly’s......even a small reef shark came by but quickly left when he saw us.....This little guy was right in front of the bungalows.....
The dive center on the atoll is AWESOME.... Thierry the general manager of the dive center (aka Mantaboy )is one of the BEST ....he's really a great guy and so is his staff....meet at the bar by the pool the night before the dives and talk about what sites we will see the next day ....... This is a site to see if you find Manihi in your plans ....The Circus Mantas, Mantas, Mantas!!!!!!
They do offer night diving .... Night Snorkeling ...just turn your light on under the bungalow (well if its the overwater version) and look through the glass pane in the floor !!!

Well I better stop talking about this .....I'm getting "Tahiti Fever" again!!!!!

Hmmm....we may need a "Three Stooges" reunion in the South Pacific !!!

:) Boy was I excited to see the talk about Tahiti. Ah the memories. We went to Bora bora , Manihi and Tikehau. Dove all with Blue Nui. Tikehau was wonderful and ISOLATED but manihi was the best by a wisker. The walls were truly a sight to behold. Lemons,greys, white tips, blacktips, mantas, morays and of course the big blue. Even with all the coral and life on the wall I found myself fascinated just looking the other way. Looking out into the big blue (blue nui) As strange as it sounds I must have taken a dozen pictures of "nothing". They are however among my my most vivid memories and prized photo's.

Tikehau was a 15 minute ride to the sites and two tanks. Manihi was moments away. We did one tank came back and went out again a dfferent group.

What was the gals name in Manihi ? Mariana? I went out on my first dive with her alone. When we came back Theirry asked me how I liked it. I responded, "fantastic". His reply was, "No, John, I meant the dive!" Ha! Not too embarrasing with my wife on the dock. Great people and fun to dive with.

Having been to French Polynesia 4-5 times I guarantee you’re in for a treat. I remember thinking that they are what I thought Hawaii was (and wasn’t). I can’t give you a lot of info on the diving as I wasn’t certified when I went though my trips there are the reason I finally got certified. However, I know a lot of people who have gone (and one ex-employee who married a “local” and now lives on Moorea). I haven’t been for a few years so my info is out of date, but here are some things to at least consider.

Overwater bungalows – sounds like you’ve got them pretty well figured out – they can be a wonderful experience (such as at the deep overwater bungalows at Hotel Bora, Bora … but they do get pricey! Best bet might be at one of the outer Islands if you go that route or see if your packager can add a special night in – a bit of a pain to move in and out, but might be worth it if you’re on a budget. After a few trips (mostly Sofetels, I found I could usually book a garden room and get a free or virtually free upgrade to an ocean view but overwater always cost more). Normally I’d say being on a honeymoon would get you that, but then on Moorea/Bora Bora etc. a heck of a lot of people are honeymooning … still, wherever you go try to talk to them about a free (or very cheap) upgrade, they do it all the time on a space available basis.

Oh, again IMO I wouldn’t stay at the Moana Beachcober Parkroyal – it’s very fancy, but in the process it’s lost it’s local flavor. However, they have/had an awesome seafood buffet on Friday’s.

Islands In The Sun have great priced packages – as do a number of others. Not sure where you’re flying from, but be aware that a number of companies book flights on Corsair, French charter company, to save money. As best I know the plans are safe (747’s usually, but they add rows(!) and space gets VERY tight on a long flight – not to mention the over head lights are in the wrong places). I found it a real trade-off, cheaper but took a lot more recovery time (and that with a simple 81/2 hour flight from LAX). Ultimately I avoided them myself, but again, it’s a way to save for that overwater bungalow.

On Moorea Club Bali Hai is okay, but unless they’ve spent a lot on upgrades recently it’s really showing its age. I’ve stayed there and at the Sofitel Ia Ora which is on Moorea’s only natural white sand beach (then again, you want to get out on the water so it doesn’t necessarily matter). For my money (and the difference wasn’t great), the Sofitel is WAY better. Also, their garden view rooms are much closer to the beach and none of the rooms are anywhere near the “main” road whereas Club Bali Hai has a number right on the road – not ideal in paradise.

Note, at whatever the hotel you go with – find out exactly where the room is and if you don’t like it, tell them (nicely) - it makes a HUGE difference. One garden room is not the same As another location wise. I’m not sure if you can book a specific room ahead of time, but I’d get a hotel map with room numbers and try. Either way, take a look as soon as you get in and talk to them if you don’t like your location…if possible they really will try to change your room and in paradise it makes a difference!

As I said, I didn’t dive when I went, but I’ve heard the TOP dive center on Moorea is quite good – wild morning shark feeding dives, but then again, in Moorea they take snorklers shark feeding (I kid thee not). As for restrictions on snorkeling or diving from shore, I’ve never heard of any though remember to always where good foot protection – lots of sharp coral and especially in Cooks Bay, little critters called Rock Fish that will definitely make your honeymoon memorable .NOT. The only restriction I know of on Bora, Bora was a “marine preserve” right outside the Hotel Bora, Bora, however that is just a ban on hunting and as a result is a great scuba spot (even if you’re not staying there.)

Regarding “must see/do” things … well, I’d say if you don’t go to the outer Islands then even though Moorea is wonderful, it’s nothing compared to Bora, Bora IMHO. One of the most exciting things we did on Bora, Bora was the helicopter ride (the pilot picked us up himself) – wild, but then he didn’t put the door on - it was tremendous.

Oh, and don’t forget a possible excursion day to Marlon Brando’s Island Tetiaroa (6 square kilometres with a population of 50) – it’s an add on and takes at least a full day, but wonderful – you can also stay there overnight last I heard. It’s not really an “Island,” that part sunk, it’s an atoll which is really amazing…

Oh, and one last thing – I wouldn’t even consider the meals included options – you can save money and have a much better time going out to eat (to save money pick up some fresh bread and local fruit for breakfast and/or lunch and just go out for dinner. The food at the big hotels is good/very good, but on the Islands, many/most restaurants will actually come and pick you up from the Hotel. Favorite restaurant on Moorea - ALFREDO'S … and Bloody Mary’s on Bora, Bora is the “classic.”

Humm, last thought – the entertainment at the Club Med on Bora, Bora can be outstanding (saw the best Island dancing there ever - they compete on the Islands and Bora, Bora usually kicks butt) and is open to guests staying at other hotels. Our favorite day on Bora, Bora was probably the all day circle island boat trip combined with visits inland …

Oh, and as has been mentioned in other posts, by far the best beaches are on the atolls, not the islands themselves. Every hotel has an outrigger or boat (usually free) that will bring you to one of the atolls and just leave you there for all or part of the day … it’s an amazing way to spend time together alone …

Last lastly - I’d say just keep asking around … most hotels will try to sell you numerous “add ons” once you’re there (such as the circle Island trip). Some are great, but I’d research ahead of time and if possible, book at least some directly – more choice as most hotels only market specific peoples tours and they are not always the best. Also you’ll usually save money booking directly.

~lol~ well, sorry to go on so but as you might guess, I miss those Islands and must be getting back soon…

And did I say, congratulations?!

Paul

dreamin' once bubbled...
:) Boy was I excited to see the talk about Tahiti. Ah the memories.........

What was the gals name in Manihi ? Mariana? I went out on my first dive with her alone. When we came back Theirry asked me how I liked it. I responded, "fantastic". His reply was, "No, John, I meant the dive!" Ha! Not too embarrasing with my wife on the dock. Great people and fun to dive with.

You bad boy you :tease: :nono: LOL

Mariana ..... Is now on Tikehau as I recall. We were on Manihi only a few days and had the pleasure of diving with her only a couple of times....Than Loic arrived .......Oh to be back on that side of the world !!!

Back
Top Bottom