Tahiti or Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sean00xj

Reaction score
This post has little to do with diving. I am coming up on ending my year of studies in Australia. On the way home I have two stopovers. I plan to spend ten days in New Zealand and six to eight in either Fiji or Tahiti. Here is the problem, I am traveling with two girls, one is my girlfriend the other is a good friend. The good friend wants to go to Fiji because apparently it has a better night life. I believe Tahiti is more of a honeymoon spot. I would rather go to Tahiti because if we go there we can stay there for eight days and still make it home the day before thanksgiving. The flights from Fiji do not work out to make it home by thanksgiving. So hopefully somebody can tell me that there are great bars and clubs in Tahiti; I do not want to go to Tahiti if it’s going to be nothing but quiet; I would feel bad for my friend.

Oh and how is the diving in either spot?

From my experience, the night life in Fiji is not all that special.
You can do as much partying in Tahiti, and more.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I totally agree with DocVikingo,

Tahiti has a few nightclubs, and the downtown area has a good vibe. It's not Ibiza, but definately more life than on Fiji.
(and for the single lady in the group, those Thaitian men are gorgeous)

And the diving in Tahiti is great- easily as good as Fiji.

sean00xj once bubbled...
Here is the problem, I am traveling with two girls...

Hmmm and this is a problem :D :wacko:

sean00xj once bubbled...
I believe Tahiti is more of a honeymoon spot.

This is true ....... as I recall when we were there ... not a whole lot of singles around either( other than locals). Also if you go to other islands in the French Polynesian chain I think you would be disappointed from a bar scene perspective.. one atoll had one resort with a small poolside bar that was quite by 10 pm ..The Island of Tahiti I would think would be the best chance of night life as it is a mini city..... maybe Bora Bora ....but thats more in the way of a restaurant or two and it Honeymoon Heaven .....

and that being said its very expensive...well on the islands other than Tahiti!!!! Tropical drinks ranged from $9-16 :eek: unless you went to happy hour then they were half of that

Cant help you with Fiji ....but as Doc says I would think its even slower than Tahiti.....

sean00xj once bubbled...
Oh and how is the diving in either spot?

French Polynesia Lots of large pelagics (sharks , Mantas etc) and crystal clear waters

Fiji from what I understand .... smaller fish lots of hard and soft coral.....

Lots of people on this site have been to Tahiti in the recent past ..... maybe someone else has some ideas

If your looking to party why not head north to Hawaii

I have been to French Polynesia (Moorea, Bora Bora and Tahiti)and the only island that had some sort of nightlife is Tahiti (in the capital Papeete). However it is not nearly as beautiful or exotic as Moorea or Bora Bora.

From a diving perspective we really enjoyed Moorea. The lagoon has everything from snorkeling to sharks and manta rays. I think Bora Bora has nice diving too, but when we were there the vis was only about 10 feet or so due to massive plankton upwellings.

As a compromise you could perhaps stay in Moorea (the Bali Hai is superb...) and take the ferry (30 mins.) to Tahiti in the evening. The only thing I am not sure about is how late it returns to Moorea.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

Back
Top Bottom