Tahiti Vs. Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kkozin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I are looking to go to the Pacific islands next summer. Has anyone been to both Tahiti and Fiji that could give some insight into both diving and shore side activities. Thanks for your help!

On the political side, Fiji is gettign a bit more iffy since Frankie Bananarama is settling down harder on dissenters.

It depends on where you go. I've been to both, mostly Fiji.

Tahiti is probably going to be more expensive and not as good. I was disappointed with Moorea. Bora Bora is supposed to be a lot better but I didn't get out there. Might be worth it for a romantic dive vacation.

IMO, Fiji had a lot more life. Taveuni, Beqa Lagoon, Kadavu, and Nananui-Ra (Wananavu resort) were all excellent. If it were my trip, I'd head straight back to Taveuni. Wananavu was just as good (excellent if you're a photographer) and easier to get to from Nadi, but I loved the Somo Somo strait.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about political troubles in Fiji. Definitely check the state department warnings and stay away from trouble areas (probably Suva). Fiji has a coup every few years just for the heck of it. Tourists are generally treated kindly during these events, they know it's none of your affair. Fijians are some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet, even when they're rioting in the streets.

My .02.

I've dived both. Loved Fiji (dove with an op right in Nadi and then as Jean-Michel's guest at his resort in Savusavu) and Tahiti. Of course the sharks in Tahitian waters were spectacular. I think you'd enjoy the diving in either location, but may enjoy Tahiti more if you dive some of the more "remote" islands.

I've been to both. Tahiti is twice as expensive as Fiji. The diving in Bora Bora was okay, lots of sharks and mantas. But nothing to do topside.

In Fiji we've done Beqa and Wananavu. The diving at Wananavu was much better, the people are fantastic, and the food great. Overall the diving is much better in Fiji.

i recommend you fly from tahiti to the tuamoto atoll of rangiroa (one hour flight from papette). rangiroa (especially taputa pass) is one of the best dives in the world imho and the lagoon is simply beautiful.
i highly recommend a dive co. called six passengers there.

We have been to both places. Tahiti is drop dead gorgeous ! One of the most beautiful places we have ever been.
It is VERY expensive so that is why we did an all inclusive cruise on the Paul Gauguin. EXCELLENT trip! BUT.... we were very new to diving and didn't know just how expensive it is to dive off of the Gauguin. We paid $75 per tank and that was 6 years ago! The diving was good but we were very new so I probably thought it was way better than it really is. I do remember loving the lemon sharks on Bora Bora. There are a ton of things to do topside there as well. As for Fiji, we LOVED it there. We dove the Bligh waters from Wananavu resort and it was fantastic! I can still remember my first giant stride off of the boat into the Bligh! UNREAL! The viz was superb along with the the corals and healthy reefs! It is truly one of our favorite spots to dive , so much so that we are going back this October! Wananavu has a new dive op so we hope they have their act together by the time we get there. We want to go out to the Bligh all of the days we are there. It is that good! A bit chilly but EXCELLENT!!! It is also a LOT cheaper to go to Fiji! Have fun!!

I've been to both.

Stayed at the Jean-Michel Cousteau resort in Savusavu while in Fiji. The resort was beautiful and the help was top-notch. The diving was good-to-great. Great coral, some big fish (barracuda and sharks).

In Tahiti I've been to Bora Bora (Intercontinental Le Moana) and Rangiroa (Kia Ora). Rangiroa is far and away the best diving I've done in my life, bar none. Absolutely Epic. Huge numbers of sharks, mantas, dolphins, turtles, etc. I dove with TopDive in Bora Bora and they were a first-class outfit and recommend them highly. I dove with TopDive again in Rangiroa and would never dive them again. Instead I'd dive Blue Dolphin, right on the property of Kia Ora. Don't know if you're a tech guy but they do everything up to and including rebreathers there.

If I had my choice it wouldn't take me a second to make it: go to Tahiti.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom