Tail weight pouch single tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've never seen a tail weight pouch on a single tank setup. But I noticed I am having quite floaty feet in my drysuit with my warmest undergarnment and wonder if such a tail weight pouch could be used e.g. with a single HP133, center mounted to the bottom edge of the BP and possibly with a hard weight in it or if that basically being stupid as the tank then might push that chunk of lead into my "tail".
Any wisdom?

Before buying anything, just check if that’s your problem by threading a weight with a tank band and secure it to the bottom of the tank. Also, Fin’s, neutral or heavy? Get the air out of the legs/feet. And yes, you could try a tail weight as well.

On my steel 70's (when I used them), I used to have bullet weights attached to the bottom with tank bands to emulate the characteristics of my PST tanks. The weights were placed on the body (my butt) side of the tank.

This worked quite well, as I didn't have to remember the weight configuration for each tank.

When I'm wearing the only bottom half of a 7mm farmer john only I need a tail weight. Can be a good solution. Put ballast where it's needed. A weight pouch, butt mounted pocket or just lead on bungee all works ok.

Maybe as a caution, check with a variable weight clipped on your crotch d-ring, adding one pound weights till you find the right balance.

Cameron

Before buying anything, just check if that’s your problem by threading a weight with a tank band and secure it to the bottom of the tank. Also, Fin’s, neutral or heavy? Get the air out of the legs/feet. And yes, you could try a tail weight as well.
Yep good point, got stuff I can try and experiment with first.
Seems my farmer John style warm undergarnent has some extra fleece layer going from below knee to near ancle. bunching up there even so the actual pants part is the right length. No idea why this extra material is there... like as it if wants to be going over skiboots or such, but it is no such pant... fits great otherwise, but there is extra, seemingly not neded fluffiness right there, hence the floatiness ... I think...

I'll have a closer look as to what I could do about that too. Fighting the problem first rather than just the symptom may quite make sense if I can wrap my head around scary stuff like "clothing modification"...

I guess I have a pretty "fluffy" butt. When in doubles I use a tail pouch or tie a three pound soft wait below the bottom bolt. In single I seem to do fine with by placing all my trim weights in pockets on the lower cam band. I also use heavy Jet fins...I have two sizes, one for my booties and one for my drysuits.

Have you adjusted the tank to be as low (towards your feet) as you safely and comfortably can?

Are you using negative fins (e.g. ScubaPro Jet or Hollis F1)?

I would do both of those things first, if you haven't already. If my feet were still floaty, I would try trim weight pockets on my lower tank strap. If they were still floaty, then I would try adding a cam band with weight pouches (moving the ones from around the lower tank strap) around the tank itself, down near the bottom.

Another vote for heavier fins before resorting to tail weight. With a fluffy undergarment, I use Jets. When I dive in near-tropical conditions with just a thin base layer, I use Deep 6 Eddys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom