Taking a DM or instructor course in the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have thought about the possibility to take a divemaster or instructor course and start working like that. I want the possibility to travel around in different places in the world, and a diving instructor is one of the best possibilities I can come up with now.
I found this place in the Dominican Republic: divecollegedr(dot)com
That sounded very interesting, and I consider taking a DM or instructor course there in a couple of years.
How is the possibility for work after having completed that course? I would prefer to work somewhere in the Caribbean or somewhere else in Latin America, and maybe try other places later. Pretty much anywhere in the world could be interesting.
But how is the working conditions as a DM or dive instructor? How is the salary?
Have anybody here any info about how the company I mentioned is?
Is it any other similar diving colleges with a good reputation in the Caribbeans, Central or South America? DR, Panama, Costa Rica, Mexico and Brazil is especially interesting.

I have heard that a lot of the places that offer internships make you work your butt off, and have a very poor salary. How much time off can one expect in an DM or instructor internship?

If you are doing this for the cash, I have some bad news. The dive industry does not pay well, unless you have your own setup. It would be a great job, we all love diving. Know of a DM at a dvie resort that have loads of fun (diving daily, girls, easy life, fishing, free lodging etc).

Sigh...... No, I'm not interested in doing it for the cash.... Can somebody please answer some of the questions, instead of just come with a lot of warnings?
This is the 3rd forum I post this question in, and every time I get an answer it seems like its just the people who dont really have alot of knowledge, but have heard some rumors, or know somebody who know somebody who answer....

I have spoken to people who have been working as DM's, and they made enough money to make it go around, one even made plenty of money (in Thailand).
So I KNOW it is possible. I would like to get some answers from someone who have experience from working in the Caribbean, or at least know more than what (s)he has heard from a friend of a friend.

I'm not meaning to take out all my frustrations on you, but I just get a little frustrated when this is all the answers I get....

How do you expect someone to give you input when you only plan on doing this in a couple of years. Things change! Secondly, it is smallish industry, full time DM's/instructors will look after their own interests. It is a job like any other, early mornings, hard work, maintenance tasks and admin to name few. It’s not a holiday, but certainly a great job!!

No, I don’t know anything about divecollegedr.com. What I do know is that diving agency/training school should not be the important consideration, but rather the instructor(s) themselves. Start engaging them and ask your questions. They are in the Caribbean after all, and you are planning on using them. If you get little or no feedback relevant to you, I would look somewhere else. Maybe Thailand........You mentioned that you have already talked to DM's there making very good money. If things are that great there, why not take that avenue. I would especially, if pay is goodthey have very friendly people/culture and with great dive sites.

Hope you find what you are looking for!! Sorry I cannot help beyound these starting points.

Kind Regards

Thanks for the answer.
About Thailand: I have gotten to know quite a few people during the last year as an au pair. I find latin culture, and not to mention the girls much more interesting and fun to be around than the thai people.
My experience of the thais, was that they are overly respectful and decent all the time, and its a bit too of a cultural difference. In addition I got the feeling that alot of the thai girls are only interested in marrying a rich white guy..... I may be prejudiced, but my experience of thai people in USA made me quite convinced that I wouldnt enjoy living there.

My main goal is to experience some of Latin America for a couple of years, and I'm trying to figure out the possibilities for working there, so I can stay there as long as possible. And diving instruction seems like an interesting way to do that, and certainly a lot better than being an english teacher or the very few other options I have found out about.
I don't mind working a lot, as long as I find the job to be satisfying.

Hi Senor Dingdong,

Every shop is going to be a little different. I have heard stories of people going to get their DM only to find they are filling cylinders and cleaning gear. To work your way up you need to get in the water and start assisting.

Most places in the Caribbean have enough work that you should be able to get real DM work. You should expect to go beyond DM however. I have only heard of one person who is just a DM and working in the Caribbean. He is also an engine mechanic and helps to maintain the fleet. Everyone else who is a 'dive guide' or 'dive master' is really at least an Open Water Scuba Instructor. Many also have qualifications to teach specialties or even IDC Staff Instructors. So really budget for getting your OWSI and possibly more.

Hauling cylinders, washing gear, filling cylinders, etc. will be part of the job. It has to get done so it might as well be the new guy.

Your best bet is to think about where you want to work in the Caribbean. Different islands offer different experiences. The DR is less expensive than many other Caribbean islands. You will find that this means lower cost to live there but also a lower standard of living. Additionally, people who go to the DR are not as free with their money as people who go to say Jamaica or Aruba.

Bottom line, the cost to visit the island (vacation) will be reflected in the sort of customer you get (quantity versus quality).

Once you know where you want to work, start calling or emailing the shops. Find out what they think of different training facilities. I know some shops who wouldn't give you the time of day if you were training in DR and others who believe if you can survive there, their place would be fine.

Just like all recreational levels of scuba training, the instructor makes a difference. Find out who is going to be your instructor by emailing the training facility directly. See if they sound like the sort of people you will work well with. Ask a lot of questions. Most importantly, get things in writing. I've heard a few horror stories from people who were told one thing but never got it in writing.

Don't forget to make sure you can work there as well. Some places might have restrictions on who can work there.

Finally, the people who come to America are not always reflective of their native culture. You might want to ping a few people working in Thailand and see what they think of the place rather than assume the Thai girls you've met from America are reflective of all Thai girls.

I personally know Ferry, the guy that runs the dive college (by the way I didn't know that until I looked at the web site). He is a great guy, but I cannot give you any details about how the school works, or where you would work. It is in Bavaro, east side of Dominican Republic, lots of tourists, so I am assuming enough work.
But I know lots of guys / girls that came here as non divers, and are working at different dive shops as instructors now (of course after going through all the courses!!!). I agree with one of the above posts, to become a good instructor you have to have a good one. Many of those I see here are NOT good instructors or DM's according to my standards, but they are good enough for the shops they dive with.
Contact either the dive college or also try Dressel divers, they have 2 locations here in DR, one in Bayahibe/Dominicus and one in Bavaro (well there is one more on the north coast in Puerto Plata, but ran by different people that I don't know, so I cannot recommend that one) and see what they offer. Itt is a very good dive operation on the island, that is if you are interested in coming to Dominican Republic.

Thanks for the answers scubadiver888 and DRsharky.

I thought that the place you had taken the education had more to say than the instructor? Like some diving colleges are more renowned than others?

I'm open to pretty much anywhere in the Caribbeans or Central/South America. But I find DR, Panama, Brazil and Mexico most tempting.

But if I can get a good education somewhere else in Latin America I have no problem going there.

BTW, Dressel Divers seemed very interesting! I'll definitely check that one out when I am gonna decide where I wanna take my course :)

Last edited:
Don't forget that we are not talking about universities here! Almost every dive shop can get you to an instructor level, then you do the final with a course director. So if you have a good instructor, you will become a good one too. If your instructor doesn't care about diving, only about money, then you cannot be a good instructor either. As simple as that.
Before I even started scuba diving one scuba instructor in Mexico told me it would be much better to take the course at my home dive shop in Canada. So I did and all the way up to MSDT. When I see some of the instructors in touristy places I understand why she told me that then :)
I am pretty sure you can find good places in locations you mentioned, but my suggestion - Canada, USA, UK, Germany (not necessarily in this order) - find a good dive shop there, get a proper training, don't go for any quick courses if you are serious about diving. It might me a bit more expensive, not as much fun in cold water as in warm Caribbean sea, but you might be better prepared. But again, even there, find a good shop with good instructors.

I did my IDC in the US since the particular training centre had a job placement service with 90% success in placing their new instructors in geographic locations they wish to work.
So I ended up in the Caribbean with my first instructor job, and let me tell you, it was great. Not som much the teaching part, because most of the time I was divemastering anyway, but of course, instructing pays better. Many days I was in the pool with some hopeless student while my work mates were out at sea divemastering already certified divers and they had more fun than I, just for less money. Subsequently I've been working as an instructor and DM (as you figure instructors also DM a lot) in other parts of the world and love it. Some places the pay is even very ok. And yes, you're right, the work is hard, but if you don't like to work hard then you shouldn't consider entering the diving industry ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom