Taking a multi-day trip to the Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but not a single snake.
They look like sticks on the bottom. Few people see them for what they are. :D
scientific collecting somewhere along the Atlantic coastline.
Blue Heron Bridge? They've put a stop to that recently.

More Florida pics...

1697746306551.png

Spring in Branford, Fl (Black Eyed Susans)

1697746416349.png

Gator and turtles on the Wekiva...

1697746561246.png

Great Blue Heron on the Manatee Springs Run...

1697746758285.png

ScubaBoarders on the Itchetucknee...

1697746825468.png

Waders on the Itchetucknee...​

Weekends at Ginnie; lots of people, noise of Latino *rap music, a uniquely unplumbed depth of auditory experience accompanied with the gentle waft of exotic fragrances. A fun experience.
That is about the most perfect description I have ever read about Ginnie..

Itchitucknee is fun but too shallow for diving. Bring a tube, mask and snorkel. You can easily do 2 trips in a day.

I was born and raised in Cali, I honestly have no idea what you're referring to.
I grew up in Michigan and learned the song in elementary school!
IMG_1685.jpeg

I can't recall reciting the state song of Florida while growing up in California. That doesn't mean it didn't happen, but it doesn't ring a bell. I do recall singing a lot of the national songs.

No! Paradise is cool, and there are some amazing fossils in there, but Alexander is the prettiest spring in Florida.

It's no secret that I grew up here in Florida, and I love the place. The nature is amazing and it's taken a lifetime and I've still not seen it all. However, bring bug repellant, especially for no-see-ums. Nothing can ruin a fun time quicker than being eaten alive.
This is great advice. I'm one of those bug magnets that gets eaten alive, especially my ankles... ugh...

I didn't grow up in FL. I moved here in 2002. I appreciate you sharing pictures which exhibit the natural beauty Florida has to offer. I definitely need to go north more frequently to experience more of Florida.

View attachment 806571

Waders on the Itchetucknee...​
Since you identified the other ones.. foreground is a Yellow Crowned Night Heron, the all white one is a White Ibis. The Ibis is the mascot for the University of Miami Hurricanes.

Chen, there are a LOT of places near and south of you that offer fantastic wildlife (mostly birds) viewing..

I can't recall reciting the state song of Florida while growing up in California. That doesn't mean it didn't happen, but it doesn't ring a bell. I do recall singing a lot of the national songs.

You don't recite it, you sing it you goof!! :rofl3: It's a song, not a poem!

Growing up in Indiana, I certainly never sang it in school or growing up. However, I certainly was familiar with the song growing up. Probably from hearing it in movies or on TV shows I guess. Not sure where. But it is a pretty famous song. I recall driving over it for the first time and saying out loud, "Hey, that's the Suwannee River!!!" So clearly I was well familiar with it.

Anyway .... now you know!

This is great advice. I'm one of those bug magnets that gets eaten alive, especially my ankles... ugh...

Thermacell, the only way to survive around the Florida springs, particularly for those that hate bug spray.

They make a version that uses a USB battery powered heater so you don't even need the propane anywhere. I use the backpacker that uses backpacker isopro fuel, as the battery version wasn't available then.

I recall driving over it for the first time and saying out loud, "Hey, that's the Suwannee River!!!" So clearly I was well familiar with it.
It's a goofy ritual for us to hum the first bar, which is written on the sign on I-75, every time we cross the Suwannee on our road trips down to the springs. (Once there, we cross the Suwannee so many times back and forth to the dive sites that we don't think about it.)

Oh, and another vote for floating the Itchetucknee in bird migration season (winter).

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom