Taking GPS coordinates of a site... captain's permission?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am simply astounded by the ignorance of the people that cannot see why boats might choose to be protective of their locations. What if you found the coordinates for an old and yet undiscovered German U-Boat that was sunk somewhere in the Atlantic? A charter's business relies on their ability to take their customers somewhere that interests them. Without that, you've got nothing. To gain an edge, an option is to take the customer somewhere that nobody (or only a few) is aware of. Perhaps this is why they are somewhat secretive at times. If it is a "known to the world" site then who cares. Even still, if they keep the precise location within the charters, then you will not have person crafts taking their business away.

Also, somebody had mentioned that it was not as if they are protecting a fishing site. Well, I have never called a charter up and said "HEY! Can you please take me to a place that is barren of fish?". The reality is, if the dive site is not well known then there is a very good change that they will be lots of marine life on it. No guarantees but fisherman follow hunches and do exploratory trips just like divers......and once the fisherman are in there, diving can become dangerous and/or somewhat boring.

Last two charter boats I was on in the gulf informed us that any gps devices found in use would be tossed overboard and you would spend the rest of the trip in their 4'x4' jail cell.

Last two charter boats I was on in the gulf informed us that any gps devices found in use would be tossed overboard and you would spend the rest of the trip in their 4'x4' jail cell.

What if somebody else needed the head? :D

I am simply astounded by the ignorance of the people that cannot see why boats might choose to be protective of their locations. What if you found the coordinates for an old and yet undiscovered German U-Boat that was sunk somewhere in the Atlantic? A charter's business relies on their ability to take their customers somewhere that interests them. Without that, you've got nothing. To gain an edge, an option is to take the customer somewhere that nobody (or only a few) is aware of. Perhaps this is why they are somewhat secretive at times. If it is a "known to the world" site then who cares. Even still, if they keep the precise location within the charters, then you will not have person crafts taking their business away.

Also, somebody had mentioned that it was not as if they are protecting a fishing site. Well, I have never called a charter up and said "HEY! Can you please take me to a place that is barren of fish?". The reality is, if the dive site is not well known then there is a very good change that they will be lots of marine life on it. No guarantees but fisherman follow hunches and do exploratory trips just like divers......and once the fisherman are in there, diving can become dangerous and/or somewhat boring.
Just about everybody sees why boats would be protective of their locations. Most also see the futility of trying.

Just about everybody sees why boats would be protective of their locations. Most also see the futility of trying.

I know I am going to die, know I can't stop it, but still make the efforts to not let it take me easily.

you're kidding, right?

I know I am going to die, know I can't stop it, but still make the efforts to not let it take me easily.
Maybe you should direct your effort towards enjoying your remaining years. :wink:

Maybe you should direct your effort towards enjoying your remaining years. :wink:

Well I was actually lying....I have treated my body less like temple and more like an amusement park ride. I expect to cash out early :wink: and with a smile on my face. But I still firmly believe that any charter has the right, and is wise to try, to protect their business. It is physically impossible to guarantee that sites do not get out and it makes no sense to take attempts too far (picture an Op frisking you and going through your bag looking for GPS units)........but it does make sense to post a sign stating that permission must be obtained before logging coordinates, maybe adding it to the waiver that everybody signs without reading. Making it part of the dive briefing, on the website, a sign behind the cash register......if they catch somebody trying to log locations, making it very clear that a request is expected first and that depending on the location, the request may be denied (and politely why it might).

I do however agree that throwing a cell phone or GPS or anything over the edge is just asking to see a customer go to jail for kicking your ass......I am all in favor of the Op's right to say no but under no circumstances would I not beat senseless a person for throwing something of mine overboard. I would no doubt see red.

--------------------------------------------

Another piece of modern technology (from WW2), called radar makes visual contact moot. The nicer integrated units allow you to mark the location of where ever the other boat anchors.

True enough but you have just left the conversation that involved the OP......a handheld GPS device, cell phone, customer.......not another charter in their boat 20 miles away.

nothing.... Up by me most of the dive charters are the only charter at their marina. As for 20 miles of visibility to the horizon? I'd love to see that one day

Another piece of modern technology (from WW2), called radar makes visual contact moot. The nicer integrated units allow you to mark the location of where ever the other boat anchors.

Keeping dive sites secret is like keeping your internet based communications secret, only a fool believes its practical.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom