Taking pictures and videos with Canon S100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the flash power control is only available in M mode, which I don't use. It's not reason enough for me to use manual mode as I can always swap batteries after a dive.
Don't know about s100, but in s90 it works in Av.

Don't know about s100, but in s90 it works in Av.

In the S100, in M Tv and Av, I can set the flash mode to MANUAL and then set the flash power to minimum normal or maximum. In those 3 (with flash mode set to AUTO) plus P I can just turn the flash compensation down to -2. Wouldn't that accomplish basically the same thing?

In the S100, in M Tv and Av, I can set the flash mode to MANUAL and then set the flash power to minimum normal or maximum. In those 3 (with flash mode set to AUTO) plus P I can just turn the flash compensation down to -2. Wouldn't that accomplish basically the same thing?

I think setting Flash Mode to MANUAL in MENU, then selecting Minimum in Flash Output does the same thing because if you change your flash output the way I described it, through Func Set button, you will see the output changed accordingly in the MENU. With Flash Auto compensation, I do not know since I've never used this option.

for the record, I just tried it. "minimum" in manual is considerably less light than -2 on auto
Interesting...maybe the flash output in Auto mode depends on the ambient light? BTW, how did you compare?

Now, starting on the next trip, I'm shooting RAW and JPEG. Though this is heresy, I'm going to shoot some days in Raw and some in JPEG (as opposed to raw/jpeg, which will be next), using the custom white balance when I shoot in Raw/JPEG.

To me, this makes no sense at all. Why shoot in JPEG only when you already know a RAW file has a lot more data? Wouldn't it be better, since you want the JPEG, to have RAW+JPEG recorded so you have the RAW file for those photos that are 5 star and suitable for printing etc? If you don't want the RAW files later, you can always delete them...better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

James:
I like making no sense. However, in this situation, I have to agree with you and will shoot RAW+JPEG. I was worried about memory, but that's not enough of an issue to not shoot both at the same time. If I get one or two 5-star photos, I'll be thrilled.

Rob

I used my S100 for the second time underwater on the 16th. I had set my jpg size to L and the format to 16:9 since that's what my monitors and TV are. However upon downloading the RAW file is 4:3 and the JPG is 16:9. Anyone know of a way to have them both be 16:9? Also as I remember it the preview showed the sharks tail at the upper left but the 16:9 jpg just cuts out the tops and bottoms of the picture. The two shots are 640x480 reductions of the originals. Note the JPG has black banding to make it fit 640x480 which would be 640x360 with the black fillers. Regardless, the jpg image has the tops and bottoms cut off.

IMG_0277_16_9.jpgIMG_0277_RAW.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom