Taking US Cell Phone to Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just thought I'd pass on some good news for US cell phone users planning to go to Thailand, in particular Phuket.

I called my cell phone company today because of my upcoming trip to Phuket and wanted to know how I can have cell service there.

The majority of US cell services are CDMA technology. Whereas the majority of the rest of the world is GSM. The two technologies do not mix.

My provider informed me that some cities including Phuket now have CDMA service available. You just need to set your account up for international roaming.

This saves the hassle of having to rent a phone for the trip. The roaming charge from my company is $1.50 USD per minute. I won't be making calls except in an emergency, but it's good to know my family will be able to contact me in an emergency as well.

Any calls I make will be done via my computer using Skype.

Alternatively, do what people from the rest of the world who travel do. Get a dual or tri-band cell phone and international roaming services. My phone works in almost any country and the only thing I have to worry about is the ridiculous roaming charges that you already mentioned. The phones are dirt cheap. Mine came from the bottom of a Cracker Jack box.

Zippsy:
Alternatively, do what people from the rest of the world who travel do. Get a dual or tri-band cell phone and international roaming services. My phone works in almost any country and the only thing I have to worry about is the ridiculous roaming charges that you already mentioned. The phones are dirt cheap. Mine came from the bottom of a Cracker Jack box.

Buy a prepaid phone card for that country.

Go to a 7-11 in Thailand and you can pick up a SIM card (with airtime) for less than USD5.

Then simply text message your friends/family that number so that they can contact you.

Make or receive a single call on your phone and you've saved enough to cover the cost of the SIM, plus maybe a beer.

e.g. the 'Simple' card from DTAC costs USD5 and gives you local calls at USD0.05 per minute. It's free to receive calls from overseas.

I now have a collection of SIMs from around the world......

Mrs. Fdog and I chose T-Mobile specifically because it is GSM for international travel.

All the best, James

Buy a GSM phone and get a local SIM card when you get to destination. Most shops will transfer your phonebook for you on to the new SIM. Then I email the number to all my contact list from the internet cafe next door.

I am hoping that the milton keynes experiment http://www.silicon.com/research/specialreports/travel/0,3800011481,39159131,00.htm
will spread to other cities worldwide then it will make lugging my laptop really worth while. :D

Back
Top Bottom