talk me out of a Mares Abyss 22 :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JofZ

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Lurker here and I need some help from all of you obsessed divers :)

Here is the deal, wife and I are OW certified, getting AOW and will so some local Chicago dives in late summer. Otherwise all dives are in warm water. We both have the same issues, hate heavy regs, suffer from dry mouth and jaw fatigue.

I want to buy a reg and use it for a while, so I do not mind buying something that will cost me a bit more as long as I can grow with it.

After all the reading on ScubaBoard and the mags it dawned on me that many aren't thrilled with Mares customer support.

So here is your chance, recommend another reg and tell me why I should or should not get the Abyss.

Thanks in Advance!!!!

Simple. Buy a Zeagle or an Atomic Z2 (it's cheaper and a proven better performer). But this thread should yield some interesing responses I'm looking forward to them :popcorn:

Cheers.

-J.-

I actually have three abyss' and love them all. I just recently purchased an Apeks XTX200, and after using it once am giving it away to my brother. To me nothing breathes as good as my abyss. I just completed the Mares Repair Course, and can tell you that they have a new person running the warranty side of the house. But in the past I have never ever had a problem with customer service. I have gone on lots of dive boats in NJ and can honestly tell you atleast half the boat is using a Mares product but mainly abyss'

I love my Abyss, breathes fantastic and is dry no matter what position I am in. My one complaint has been that I bought it through and "authorized" dealer, but have never been able to get the free parts from Mares when I get it serviced. The service kits are expensive.

edjohnson66:
I just recently purchased an Apeks XTX200, and after using it once am giving it away to my brother.
I need a new brother. :D

My preference is AquaLung Legend LX. I thought the Abyss 22 breathes too hard. Could have just been how it was adjusted.

It basically comes down to what feels best for YOU, meets YOUR needs.

Best of luck.

JofZ:
We both have the same issues, hate heavy regs, suffer from dry mouth and jaw fatigue.

I'm sure the Abyss is a fine Reg from a fine Scuba gear mfg. I've never used one.

My wife and I have been using Atomic B2's for almost 4 years now. The second stage is titainum (light) and we don't even know what dry mouth or jaw fatigue feels like.

You couldn't go wrong with the Abyss from a product standpoint. Whether or not it will relieve your dry mouth and jaw fatique is something else.

If your LDS of choice sells the Abyss then why not.

We dive almost daily and we use the Abyss for the last couple of years. Great regulator. We dive mostly deep 70+ feet dive Nitrox & air interchangeably in same day. Have had no problems whatsoever (dry mouth or anything else).
The regulator breaths very easily, takes a beating. I won't for one minute tell you that other manufacturers don't also make fine products that will serve you well. Service should be as much a criteria as performance.

Dry mouth can be addressed by using a 2nd stage with a metal case or metal air barrel; I have experienced this with my metal case SP reg. The abyss has a metal case, so I assume it would also be good with dry mouth, but I've never dove with one so I don't know. Jaw fatigue is usually a result of hose length/routing and mouthpiece design, and not from the "weight" of the reg, which is filled with air under water, so not alot of negative buoyancy. IOW, lightweight 2nd stages are probably not going to make much difference in your comfort.

I'd really like to try diving with an abyss sometime, as it has amazing user loyalty over a long time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom