Talking Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hocky

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All

I was wondering if anyone out there had any thoughts on using communication devices under water.
Divelink, a Canadian company, has a device that attaches to your regulator allowing you to either talk to your buddies, your students(if you are teaching)or the boat.You can either have two way communication, or just one way, where one person wears the talking devise and the others have ear pieces.

Shops here in Australia are starting to use it in classes, as it effectively lets you communicate with your students. Its calming,as they can hear you,and you don't have to gesticulate as much as they can watch the demonstrations and listen to you while you are doing them.

Divers here are starting to use them more as well. What do you think about this? Are you using them in the U.S?Is this just a fad or will it take off and will we all be using the Divelink 5 years from now, and wondering why it took so long to introduce?

Someone pointed me to this URL - article

Which lead me to this site and when I've asked around everyone says they are the best but I know nothing about them as a comparison ... Ocean Technology Systems ... Your thoughts?

Regards

You may want to checkout the Ocean Technology System equipment. They have been selling in Australia for many years. A new TV show called, "Shark Gordon" uses the equipment with great success all the time.

I also think that underwater communication is going to take off. It is used by commercial, search & rescue and military divers on a daily basis. It won't be long before we see more sport divers using them. HOWEVER, it won't be for everyone.

Dive safe - DEEP SEA

Has anyone done a side-by comparision between Divelink & OTS?

I have a friend (in Europe) that's looking for a new supplier of u/w comms; he's looking for an alternative to OTS (pricing & marketing considerations inspiring him to look elsewhere).
He sells a lot to military & commercial accounts, in addition to sporties

I mean other than the changed vocabulary and definitions.

The primary difference is accent.

You already have a relatively decent air/sea transducer in your regulator, called a diaphram. The regulator garbles speach, but not so much the ear can't pick it up as words once you learn to listen to it. The garble is consistant and is best described as "english with an accent".

"Regulator" accent is not hard to deal with once you get the ear trained, but that can take more than jsut a few hours talking to your buddy underwater. To enhance understanding pitch your voice down and speak as distinctly as possible as far back in your throat as you can.

It takes a while to learn, but once learned it opens up a whole new world to buddy co-operation at depth. I have several buddies that speak regulator quite well. We use it to set up stalks and hunts, as well as pose photo models.

I opted for the OTS buddy phone system. (I have two)
I have the half/chin mask version, so I can use my own prescription mask.

I prefered it over the dive link, because of the mouth pocket.
I've tried talking with a mouth piece in my mouth, didn't work too well.

I've had them for about two years now. They are great when using a video camcorder. I don't use them as much now so if your interested PM me, I 'd be willing to part with them for a fair price. They are in perfect working order.

MikeD
:blfish:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom