Tampa area divers wetsuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m249saw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Im asking here since most of you have probably dived the places I enjoy.

Im looking to buy a wet suit (my first) to use while diving the multiple springs around the area (Rainbow,Alexander, and Ginnie) and curious what people use. Fulls or shortys? I plan on diving the Gulf too but not until June or July when its warmer.

Thanks
Kyle

m249saw:
Im asking here since most of you have probably dived the places I enjoy.

Im looking to buy a wet suit (my first) to use while diving the multiple springs around the area (Rainbow,Alexander, and Ginnie) and curious what people use. Fulls or shortys? I plan on diving the Gulf too but not until June or July when its warmer.

Thanks
Kyle

I use a 3mm full wetsuit in the gulf and in the springs and my wife uses a shorty and has a farmer jane to go with it if she needs it, but it been 5 months since we've been diving.

People typically use a full 3 or 5.

GulfCoastDiver, see how desperate you are to get out and dive? For o reason at all you mention it has been 5 months :D I'll lend you a wetsuit :eyebrow:

Do you get cold easily? if so, get a 5mm. If not, get a 3/2. I am from the north, so I don't get cold as easily as others and 3/2 is great. At the end of dives, I can start getting a bit cold - but easily tolerable for me.

Missdirected:
People typically use a full 3 or 5.

GulfCoastDiver, see how desperate you are to get out and dive? For o reason at all you mention it has been 5 months :D I'll lend you a wetsuit :eyebrow:

I know its getting bad, I even put a new battery in the boat and getting it ready to go, I even checked the battery in my dive computer. I think I will go look at so 5mm suits today.

GulfCoastdiver:
I know its getting bad, I even put a new battery in the boat and getting it ready to go, I even checked the battery in my dive computer. I think I will go look at so 5mm suits today.

Buy a used one.

Ditto on what Yukoneer said and ScubaToys is a great place to deal with. :)

Is a wetsuit really a good thing to buy over the internet? Like are the sizing guides usually accurate or should this be shomething I buy and try on in person?

i have been suffering thru the cold springs in a two piece three mil with a 3 mil vest/5 mil hood. (My dry suit should be here next week!)

if you plan on doing more than one dive a day in the springs, and tend to get cold easy go with the 5 mil for sure. But if you dont get cold easy, a 3 mil will work and is more versatile for warmer water for those summer ocean dives.

Either way, i suggest a vest with hood.

I have a 3mm for 75 and up, a 7mm Bare with hood for 75 down to 65 and a drysuit for anything below that. The drysuit is also for the springs when I'm going to be down over 1 hour.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom