Tampa - Gainsville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RV

Contributor
Reaction score
The family and I will be in Gainesville and Tampa the week of July 20th. Other than Gennie, what would you guys recommend for non-cave diving? The wife and kids would probably like to swim while I dive...

Thanks
Ross

PS.. I'd also like to try out a DPV or two while in the land of DPVs. :D .. and maybe buy a used one...

oh, and I'm a warm water wuss, so do you think a 3mm is enough or do I need a 5mm?

you may get hot in a 5...

not too far outside of tampa is venice... hotspot for fossil diving.

I get cold easy too and i live near Ginnie Springs and its a cold 72 it has a decent cavern and there are some neighboring springs next to it devils ear and devils eye so you may end up in the water a while. If you have a 5 bring it you may enjoy yourself a little more.

I guess I'll bring my 7mm... :)

You're gonna get hot in a 7. Water at 72 feels really nice when the "feels like temp" is over 100. If you want salt water go down to Bradenton and hit the Spanish Rocks. You can get in a good dive and the family can play on the beach. Its not as far as a drive as Venice. If you want to do a spring in Ocala I would have to recommend Devils Den. Only because it is the only spring I can think of with stuff there for the family to do. Its not my favorite spring but it is worth doing once. If you are still in the area I think I will be up there on the 27th with an open water class. You would be more than welcome to tag along.

The longer you stay in 72 water the colder you get. As a fellow www I always wear my 7mm at Ginnie even in the summer. Sometimes the drysuit too. Actually that goes for all the springs.

There is also Alexander spring and Devils Den near Ocala. Family type dive sites.

Around Gainsville Ginnie tops em all for diving and family fun.There are three divable springs there.All are overhead caverns so be aware.The most dangerous would be Devils ear,in the river.Its a narrow crack going straight down under a tree.Coming back out is the tricky part.Be sure your bc is empty or the floww will blow you out past your safty stop which youll do on the tree.The place is a blast with tubing,camping,night diving etc.Blue springs and Poe springs have no diving but would be fun for swimming.grilling etc. and are next to Ginnie.Have fun!

One of the Best things to do in the Gainesville area is tube down the Ichnatuckee River. There is no Scuba but it is pristeen clear spring fed river and the kids will love it.

If you are diving in the springs and you get cold easily, wear your 7mm. Seriously.

72 doesn't sound bad until you spend an hour in it (or are on your second or third dive).

BTW, Ginnie Springs gets my vote too. The same price (or less) than Devil's Den, Paradise, Blue Grotto but there is a ton more to do there.

If you go 45 mins south, you can do Rainbow River or Crystal River. Both of those are fun for the family as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom