Tank Age??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Sutton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
How old is to old to have a tank filled ???
i have a tank with original stamp date of 4/78 it was last hydroed 2/12. my lds says no one will fill a tank that old

Is the tank steel or aluminum? I've got two steel tanks made in 1978 that were just VIP'ed and filled no problem. Many dive shops will not fill any aluminum tank made before 1990. You can do a search on 6351-T6 aluminum tanks to understand part of the reason why.

Last edited:
Find a better shop.
There is no age on tanks as long as they pass hydro and vis. There are a good many tanks from the 50's still in use. Some alum tanks do need an extra test but those are still acceptable to use.

Guessing the LDS meant to say "we choose not to fill a tank that old". Also guessing you got it hydro'ed somewhere else? Can you take it back there for a fill?

How old is to old to have a tank filled ???
i have a tank with original stamp date of 4/78 it was last hydroed 2/12. my lds says no one will fill a tank that old

This is a hot topic. A lot of people have strong feelings about this. Different dive shops will treat this tank differently.

1. Some shops will not fill ANY tank as old as 1978
  2. Some shops will not fill an ALUMINUM tank as old as 1978
  3. Some shops will not fill an aluminum tank as old as 1978, unless they did the visual inspection
  4. Some shops will fill it so long as it has a current sticker

The #1 shops are just being paranoid in my opinion. There haven't been any wide spread complaints about steel tanks. So to refuse all old tanks is just being a little too cautious.

The #2 shops are either being paranoid or ignorant. Some believe that all aluminum tanks as old as 1978 are ticking time bombs. There is a problem with tanks older than 1990 but with proper testing, you can detect the tanks are about to fail and pull them out of service. No different than a poorly maintained modern tank.

The #3 shops are being distrustful. There is a higher probability that a tank from 1978 is going to fail. If you work in the industry you have heard at least one story of shops passing a tank without properly testing it, either by ignorance or laziness. So having a sticker on the tank doesn't always mean it passed a PROPER inspection. I heard of one shop who, when they are busy, will just slap a new sticker on a tank and top it up. They don't even pull the valve. If I did the inspection, I know it was inspected properly and I'll, literally, guarantee that with my life.

The #4 shops just trust it has a proper sticker so it should be safe and they treat it like any other tank.

If you search for "Sustained Load Cracking" (either here or Google) you'll find a lot about the old aluminum tanks and their known issue.

Here's what i got from them today 002.jpg

Yes it is, two of them , i just got them from another dive shop. now i find out,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom