Tank cam strap assembled incorrectly at factory?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did fix it, but the metal was so tight that it 'sprung' when we changed it.

Again, it was bought from Lesiure Pro via MAIL ORDER, and I needed it fixed BY THIS weekend to go dive in A-Bay, so I didn't HAVE 1-2 wks of playing mail order shipping back-and-forth games with it.

Also, I weight 151#, so I think doubles is a little much for me, AND, my wallet as a FT student working PT for the enxt 2 years.

*moderated*

jonnythan once bubbled...
Why haven't you fixed it?
Somethings for some folk are better left up to the LDS to handle o-ring...

Just remember this little episode should *someone* start pontificating on how impossible it is to adjust and dive with a BP/wing in a future thread.

UP, Incorrectly assembled items can occur at ANY factory when items are hand assembled. As I recall, even my Halcyon SS straps (2) came WITHOUT ANY INSTRUCTIONS and unthreaded. I went thru the same thing with that as well.

And for the record, I don't think I'd classify myself and not be very handy. I do all my most of my own vehicle repairs, handload all of my hunting shells, and have rock and ice climbed (and lived to tell about it). So, I'm not moron, as you might expect.

My LDS freely admits that it has taken him 4 years to master the threading of tank straps - so I don't feel too bad - and, this was further complicated by it being ASSEMBLED wrong from the start - sure wasn't MY ignorance on the issue~

My LDS freely admits that it has taken him 4 years to master the threading of tank straps - so I don't feel too bad - and, this was further complicated by it being ASSEMBLED wrong from the start - sure wasn't MY ignorance on the issue~

I have seen some impossible buckles on weight belts too...we had one student in an OW class and nobody could figure out how to fix his weight belt buckle. The thing kept coming off and no matter what we did it wouldn't hold. I blame the designer on that one...it also had a plastic suicide clip on the side and the student managed to clip himself onto the platform cable trying to do a reciprocal compass heading.

Scuba446 once bubbled...
I did fix it, but the metal was so tight that it 'sprung' when we changed it.
That is precisely why I (and others) suggested that you take it to the LDS...

To remove and replace the buckle requires measured force... spreading the u-ring open with your hands just enough to disengage one of the prongs.

However... all is not lost... you can tighten the u-ring back up with slip-joint pliers (some times referred to by the brand named Channel Locks) or water-pump pliers. This can be done with the u-ring engaged in the plastic buckle or it can be done apart... just don't over do it. Another option would be to tighen up the u-ring by using a vise if you have one... actually this would be preferred in your case is it would allow more control over the process.

Some of us who are more mechanically minded would just give the u-ring a whack with a hammer.

However... I still advise that in your case the assembly should be taken into the LDS to have them fix it for you.

Agreed - I had to have of the DIR boys show me how to properly thread my Scubapro SS buckle as well, when I strung my harness. Yes, I wanted to know the RIGHT way to do it - so I asked Koplin. I didn't want to just 'fudge' it.

Anyway - thread now ending by myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom