Tank clamp sheathing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sorry if this was covered already, nothing jumped at me when I hit the search button.

I recently switched from bands with buckles to just plain steel clamps on my sidemount tanks. Now that I started to pay attention, I noticed that a lot of divers do not use sheathing, whether on steel on aluminum tanks.

I am assuming the reason is because a wet clamp sheath will trap salt water, be harder to rinse, and take longer to dry. There seems to be a theory that clamp sheathing helps avoid corrosion, and the alternative theory that it does just the opposite. Speculations aside, someone with 1000+ dives must have strong anecdotal evidence to support either one or the other... which is it?

Have you got any additional information about this?
it doesnt really matter one way or another for stages in normal use.

They arent in an electrolyte long enough (for dissimilar metal corrosion) and the nylon dries fast enough (so trapping water isnt a big deal) it all comes out in the wash.

Back
Top Bottom