Tank configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Side mount and back mount are simply tools/techniques used to get the job done. Their choice really comes down to two factors:

-The circumstances of the dive calls for one or the other, or...
-You have a life style issue that necessitates one in favor over the other.

Neither is really better or worse because a set of side mounted 85's carries just as much gas as a set of back mounted 85's. Are they different? Yes! The way that you manage your gas supply will be different between the two because in side mount you have to manage two independent tanks, maintain an emergency reserve, be able to adequately donate to other members of you team, etc.... However, ultimately volume is volume and you'll end up seeing the same cave as your buddy no matter the configuration.

Assuming a 1/3rds dive in a cave you're looking at a minimum of no less than 3-4 regulator swaps in side mount and that doesn't include things like deco. Like it or not the reality is that both the circumstances of what you're looking at doing as well as your lifestyle issue with regulator swapping has in my opinion made the decision for you.

Personally, I see no need to dive side mount and unless you're going to actually dive cave there's really no need for a set of doubles in all honesty. If you decide to go the cave route then that's a different matter.

Do listen to what Kensuf said. If you're not comfortable with swapping/clearing/purging your regulators then this might not be the best environment for you.

I don't think you understand what I said. Let me quote another post you made in this thread:

Let me be clear on this -- if clearing regs is something that causes you enough mental discomfort that you will chose a gear configuration based primarily on not having to clear a reg, then cave diving is an activity that you have no business doing.

I'm sorry if that offends you, but the cave diving environment can be incredibly dangerous to someone that lacks mental discipline. I've lost more friends than I have fingers on either hand and I've pulled a few dead bodies out of the water, and in my opinion, someone that is uncomfortable with a skill that is taught in every discover scuba course probably should not be in the cave environment.

Side mount and back mount are simply tools/techniques used to get the job done. Their choice really comes down to two factors:

-The circumstances of the dive calls for one or the other, or...
-You have a life style issue that necessitates one in favor over the other.

Neither is really better or worse because a set of side mounted 85's carries just as much gas as a set of back mounted 85's. Are they different? Yes! The way that you manage your gas supply will be different between the two because in side mount you have to manage two independent tanks, maintain an emergency reserve, be able to adequately donate to other members of you team, etc.... However, ultimately volume is volume and you'll end up seeing the same cave as your buddy no matter the configuration.

Assuming a 1/3rds dive in a cave you're looking at a minimum of no less than 3-4 regulator swaps in side mount and that doesn't include things like deco. Like it or not the reality is that both the circumstances of what you're looking at doing as well as your lifestyle issue with regulator swapping has in my opinion made the decision for you.

Personally, I see no need to dive side mount and unless you're going to actually dive cave there's really no need for a set of doubles in all honesty. If you decide to go the cave route then that's a different matter.

Do listen to what Kensuf said. If you're not comfortable with swapping/clearing/purging your regulators then this might not be the best environment for you.

I lived in Victoria BC. I hate cold water. I hate how my mouth goes numb. I hate all the gear needed to stay warm enough to last as long as my gas does. In Victoria the water temperature is 45-50 F year round. 55 F has happened, and it was downright balmy. On average I would dive at least once a month, sometimes several times a week. The cold didn't even slow me down. I accepted that it is part of diving there, and it was worth it.

I may not like reg switching. Doesn't mean it will stop me from diving. It just comes with the territory. Part of me preparing for the inevitability is to have a discussion about various options I think of that would remove this issue. Understanding the situation puts me at ease. Understanding the how and why BEFORE diving has lead to my success multiple times, in multiple areas.

I am ex navy. I have learned how to take something I don't like, and turn it into something I can do proficiently. The pain is worth the reward. Seeing more of the cenotes is worth the pain of reg switching.

I am ex navy. I have learned how to take something I don't like, and turn it into something I can do proficiently.

There is a difference between "sucking up" a difficult task and becoming proficient at it, versus doing something that any beginner in a swimming pool should be comfortable doing. Quite simply, if something so basic as clearing a regulator is a worry, you should not be in an overhead environment. Back mounted doubles provide a tremendous amount of redundant safety and additional gas....for the trained diver. If you worry about clearing a regulator, then trying to do a valve shutdown under duress, in an overhead environment is not for you. Please go back and read what @kensuf said again. Perhaps you feel that he is being overly blunt or machismo, but he's actually trying to help you.

There is a difference between "sucking up" a difficult task and becoming proficient at it, versus doing something that any beginner in a swimming pool should be comfortable doing. Quite simply, if something so basic as clearing a regulator is a worry, you should not be in an overhead environment. Back mounted doubles provide a tremendous amount of redundant safety and additional gas....for the trained diver. If you worry about clearing a regulator, then trying to do a valve shutdown under duress, in an overhead environment is not for you. Please go back and read what @kensuf said again. Perhaps you feel that he is being overly blunt or machismo, but he's actually trying to help you.

I thought doubles you don't have the issue with having to swap regs.

You would be surprised what I have had to do under duress. A valve shutdown, swapping regs, even dropping gear and surfacing is all something I could safely do.

As I understood it, doubles you do not need to swap regs, whereas sidemount you do. So, the point of this thread was to understand the reasons for sidemount, and the reasons against doubles.

I thought doubles you don't have the issue with having to swap regs.

If everything is normal, then no, you don't have to swap regs. If you have a free flow or a valve problem, then indeed, you have to swap regs while shutting down the leaking valve/regulator.

If everything is normal, then no, you don't have to swap regs. If you have a free flow or a valve problem, then indeed, you have to swap regs while shutting down the leaking valve/regulator.

Or if you need to donate gas.

Or if you need to donate gas.
Which you will do repeatedly in cave training...

@swimmer_spe, I suggest you spend more time enjoying your cavern dives and becoming more comfortable in the water before considering a gear change.

You say your issue with a reg swap is related to cold water...FL springs are a minimum of 68F which should feel downright balmy to you. Mexico cenotes are 74+. If you are still uncomfortable with reg swaps in that environment it's not temp related...

If you find you have no issues with reg swaps or any other basic skills in the temperate springs, then consider moving on to sidemount or doubles but not before.

But what was found along the way is that you need more time underwater to master the basics.

Absolutely! Mind you, it seems most cave/cavern dive operations want you to dive with 2 tanks. I am trying to figure out the configuration that is best for me.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom