Tank fell off and lost dive buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love stories like this because they reinforce things like
double strap bcd,s
get dives under your belt between certifications
make and learn from your mistakes at shallower depths
it makes you think about the what ifs and what could i have done to .....

I have a Scubapro tank cinch, it's never come loose. I have had a malplaced tank a few times and have done exactly what DD said, stopped and adjusted it.

Good diving, Craig

The Scubapro tank strap is the way to go. You can set it so that it really clamps down on the tank and never comes loose.

I have retrofit non-Scubapro BCs to use the Scubapro cam band.

I bought a second tank band just in case, but my question is: why 30~40º angle and not simply horizontal? During the entire dive the tank should be resting on your back.

Because, I was in open water when it occurred and it was pulling on my reg out of my mouth. The only two options I had was descend to the bottom at about 45 feet, take BC off and try to re-adjust it or head to the shallow water shelf. I was in about 20' when it happened. At about a 30-40 angle I knew I would hit a rock shelf about 6-7 deep and could make it from there. If I stayed horizontal, it still would have been a vertical rock wall for 15' of so and I would have had to go vertical, not ideal in my situation. I think I did the right thing under the circumstance, not sure. Good thing I am 100% at ease in the water and don't freak out much :)

While I 100% agree, I was to blame, as I stated. I'm the one who rigged all my gear. I will take advice on double strapping my tank in. I think my whole point, is no matter what, even with a dive partner, you are solo diving. No, we did not have a dive plan in place, other then I'll follow you.
I agree with DIVEMASTERDAVE above, but sometimes it is not ideal. I want to take my time and take pictures, but my dive buddy wants to hurry from site to site, not ideal at all. All you can do, if that's your only choice, is ask look back once in a while. I was with a guy that I only met twice and he had those big open fins that could outpace me 2-1. So, choice was not dive at all, or rely that I could save myself if needed, and it happened. I'll admit I was born in the water and not prone to panic, a new diver might have met a fate. I practiced several times of taking all my gear off under water in a shallow pool, to learn there is always a way out. But, a new strapping system is coming :) Thanks all.

Edit, the only reason I did not remove my gear to fix the tank at depth, was I worried about having my wetsuit on, I would have floated above my gear as the weights are in the BC. Maybe I could have removed the weight pockets, held onto them somehow and adjusted the situation. I thought about it, and felt the risk was far greater then doing my one hand thing. Maybe I am missing something?

There is no reason to remove weight pockets from your BC in that situation where you need to remove your scuba unit. You will be lighter, and your scuba unit may be negatively buoyant but not so much you can't work with it. Taking your time and being methodical in your approach is key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom