Tank for Beginners in Cold Water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I mentioned, everyone's mileage varies depending on your size. For me, I'm not a huge fan of 8" diameter tanks, particularly as singles. I find their center of gravity is higher and they tend to want to roll you sideways more than slimmer tanks. Granted, it's not a big difference, but it's one I notice. For the average recreational dive, 100 cf is plenty unless you happen to be an especially heavy breather.

I don’t think there’s much (if any) difference. I think the FX 100 is just Faber’s HP100.

The confusion comes from the fact that the M100 (mid pressure) tank has a higher pressure at 3180 +10% is 3498# than the FX 100 (HP) at 3445#.

It is the working pressure that the tanks should be catorgorized. LP 2400#, HP 3445# (now down to 3445# since no one makes 3500# here anymore), and MP 3180# (Faber also made steel MP tanks at 3000# +10%)

I have no idea whether this will help or confuse.

Bob

Maybe a tangent question, does anyone know the status of asahi tanks DOT special permit renewal? I like the tank, but local shops won’t fill it until the permit is good. I can post the stamp to show the permit number for reference (Japanese spun steel 100)

I don't know about the status of the permit. However, I just got new hydros on my Ashai tanks. The hydro shop had no problem with it.

The confusion comes from the fact that the M100 (mid pressure) tank has a higher pressure at 3180 +10% is 3498# than the FX 100 (HP) at 3445#.

It is the working pressure that the tanks should be catorgorized. LP 2400#, HP 3445# (now down to 3445# since no one makes 3500# here anymore), and MP 3180# (Faber also made steel MP tanks at 3000# +10%)

I have no idea whether this will help or confuse.

Bob
@Bob DBF
thanks, rather than looking at model number, i think it's better to look at PSI for each tank like you said.

As I mentioned, everyone's mileage varies depending on your size. For me, I'm not a huge fan of 8" diameter tanks, particularly as singles. I find their center of gravity is higher and they tend to want to roll you sideways more than slimmer tanks. Granted, it's not a big difference, but it's one I notice. For the average recreational dive, 100 cf is plenty unless you happen to be an especially heavy breather.
@RyanT
i never thought about that but i guess it's something i should consider as well but unfortunately LDS i go to, doesn't carry any steel tank that i can try. but i'll keep that on my mind. thanks again!

@goldenwar, have you so far been diving an AL 80? If so, and you're average sized, you'll likely find an HP 100 ideal. It's almost an inch shorter than an AL 80. For my 5'10" frame it's pretty much the perfect length and diameter. In the HP flavors, your next step up is a HP 117 (LP 95 is pretty much the same size). These are also nice tanks, but I just don't care for the added bulk. On a single HP 100, I can comfortably do a 130' dive with a few minutes of deco and still have plenty of reserve.

@goldenwar, have you so far been diving an AL 80? If so, and you're average sized, you'll likely find an HP 100 ideal. It's almost an inch shorter than an AL 80. For my 5'10" frame it's pretty much the perfect length and diameter. In the HP flavors, your next step up is a HP 117 (LP 95 is pretty much the same size). These are also nice tanks, but I just don't care for the added bulk. On a single HP 100, I can comfortably do a 130' dive with a few minutes of deco and still have plenty of reserve.
@RyanT

thanks again! your personal experience made it so much easy!!

@goldenwar, certainly! Too bad you're not on the east coast. If so, I'd just let you borrow my tanks to see how you like them. As it is, I just don't think you can go wrong with the FX 100s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom