tank overfills HP vs LP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I perfer to dive LP tanks over filled, mostly I dive double LP 108's overfilled to about 3000psi as suppose to 2640 standard 10% overfill... I have seen people overfill AL 80's to 3500-4000psi, but I question the saftey, and the lifetime of the AL tank when this is done....

The better question is what are you regs rated working pressure? I know my regs are only rated for up to 4,350 psi, so I never go really go higher than 4,200 psi. Typically around 4,000 psi cold is what they wind up being.

Last edited:
The better question is what are you regs rated working pressure? I know my regs are only rated for up to 4,350 psi, so I never go really go higher than 4,200 psi. Typically around 4,000 psi cold is what they wind up being.
I haven't been able to find any #'s on my reg

at400 1st stage w/ DIN fitting...?

I've also found that if you reenforce the LP tanks with Duct Tape the tensile strength is greatly increased allowing for greater overfills.

I've also found that if you reenforce the LP tanks with Duct Tape the tensile strength is greatly increased allowing for greater overfills.

Oh my friend, you are in serious danger. Have you not heard about the recent testing that concluded duct tape alone was not sufficient? You must include at least 5 sets of zip ties around the duct tape (preferably 7 - 10) in order to increase the tensile strength sufficiently. :D

Oh my friend, you are in serious danger. Have you not heard about the recent testing that concluded duct tape alone was not sufficient? You must include at least 5 sets of zip ties around the duct tape (preferably 7 - 10) in order to increase the tensile strength sufficiently. :D

Zip Ties get brittle and break... I believe duct tape and/or cave line properly tied are the only acceptable DIR solutions...

:)

I was thinking of 2 Nitrox stickers instead of one.

LP cylinders have tensile strength in the 105,000psi to 120,000psi range, and the 3442psi-series cylinders have tensile strengths in the 135,000 to 155,000psi, with Worthington usually being around 145,000psi in the X-series cylinders.

They are NOT "the same cylinders, just stamped differently".

Why waste good duct tape and zip ties on a tank that withstand that much pressure? I just need a compressor that can fill my lp to 104,000 psi (to stay on the safe side) and 134k for my hp bottles. I might have to put a "cave plug" in place of the blow out disc. :)

Couv

Back
Top Bottom