Tank recommendation for Atlantic dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

junko:
Good point Lou. Eventually I plan to have two tanks and possibly a pony (if I decide to get into this). Basically I'm trying to purchase things slowly to help defray the costs. The last thing I want to do is to buy a bunch more expensive gear up front and then find out I can't hack atlantic diving or don't have time to do it.

When I first got started it was taking a crew of Boy Scouts to Florida (BSA Sea Base). When getting ready for the second trip, a friend who had a contact w/ one of the mfgs said want to get some gear I can get u a good deal. So I bought reg and BC. (two one for me and one for my son). I spent about $1500 (for both sets). I then said to myself I spent this much money I now have to dive locally to get my money's worth out of it. That meant buying more gear.
I have said, "when I got started I spent $1500 for gear, and its only been $1000 per year since."

Although said in jest, it has not been far from the truth. Each year little more gear. couple of AL 80s, then set of steel tanks, then another set, a pony bottle here and another there, lights, dry suits, masks, fins.
Gosh I just figured out I have completely different kits for NE diving and Carribean diving and another set just to leave in Florida!

junko Thin (6'1:
dude! I am 6'1' and 160lb and I use Doubles 130... so I wouldn't worry about single 120.. since you are tall, I would avoid buying short tanks... PST E8-130 will probably be the best tank for you, but they are hard to get.... if you can get a used one get it. Similar OMS 112 is a nice tank too if you don't mind the painted tank instead of PST's hot dipped galvanized... If you take car of you tanks, then you don't have to worry.

Based on your depth target, obviously Al80 i snot an option, so go for a bigger steel.

It's true it definitely seems that just when you think you're done spending with this there's always something new to buy...

I bought 2 PST E-7 100's not that long ago and so far I'm very happy with them.
I went diving in NC on the Papoose, Indra, U-352 etc. recently. Deep dives, 110 +. With Olympus you dive the rule of thirds (or should). I was getting nice long dives on these wrecks and finishing with 1000 psi. for the most part. I'm guessing my SAC average is between .5 and .65 depending on the dive conditions, my stress levels etc. For local shallow dives I can usually get 2 dives on a tank. Good stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom