Tank shipping question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duy Nguyen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

How did you guys shipping tanks in the US? I need to ship a tank to California and I tried USPS but I didnt get any luck . I went to the USPS and showed them the pic of the tank I want to ship and they just told me that they wont ship the tank. I am pretty sure there is a shipping company that does ship these cylinder but I do not know them. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks all

I use UPS although you can use USPS also despite what you were told. Either way, pack the cylinder yourself since it will spook people who don't know what it is.

Empty cylinders are considered non-hazardous and can be shipped any way you please. Empty is defined as less than about 40 PSI, however, I often remove the valves both to make the cylinder fit in a smaller box (so it ships at a lower price) and to prevent damage to the valve. The valves can then be shipped in a separate box, or wrapped in soft material and packed alongside the cylinder.

I use 8x8x36 boxes, which are available from Uline in lots of 25, and cut them down to the length actually needed. If you're only shipping one or two cylinders, you can get lamp boxes from U-haul and cut them down.

Cylinders are not fragile and no packing material is really needed, but I wedge in a piece of cardboard so that the cylinder doesn't move readily within the box.

It's a worldwide problem, and the problem is that the world is flat for so many organisations.

Remove the valve, put a dust cap on the cylinder, ship it as steel or aluminium tube.

Don't use the words "cylinder" or "tank" or "scuba" in the description.

If it goes astray you might not get your money back on any shipping insurance you use though.

If you do ship with the valve attached, you want to make a collar around it to support the weight of the cylinder if (when) it is dropped with the valve down. I either use the core from a roll of packing tape, or 3-4 wraps of cardboard held in place by tape.

It's a worldwide problem, and the problem is that the world is flat for so many organisations.

Remove the valve, put a dust cap on the cylinder, ship it as steel or aluminium tube.

If it goes astray you might not get your money back on any shipping insurance you use though.

No description is required by any US carrier for domestic shipments. International shipments are another matter and have their own problems.

USPS will ask you whether it contains "anything fragile, liquid,perishable, or potentially hazardous, including lithium batteries and perfume?" and you will answer "no," because you have made sure that the cylinder is empty, and is therefore nonhazardous.

I use UPS although you can use USPS also despite what you were told. Either way, pack the cylinder yourself since it will spook people who don't know what it is.

Empty cylinders are considered non-hazardous and can be shipped any way you please. Empty is defined as less than about 40 PSI, however, I often remove the valves both to make the cylinder fit in a smaller box (so it ships at a lower price) and to prevent damage to the valve. The valves can then be shipped in a separate box, or wrapped in soft material and packed alongside the cylinder.

I use 8x8x36 boxes, which are available from Uline in lots of 25, and cut them down to the length actually needed. If you're only shipping one or two cylinders, you can get lamp boxes from U-haul and cut them down.

Cylinders are not fragile and no packing material is really needed, but I wedge in a piece of cardboard so that the cylinder doesn't move readily within the box.

Thanks guys, do you know the estimated cost (when you were shipping them)?

I tried with United airlines as checked in luggage and apparently they have a separate section for it (its a 150 fee) to check a scuba tank (empty air of course).

Around $25-$50 per cylinder. There's a rate calculator on ups.com, just figure an 8x8x30 box and whatever your cylinder weighs.

I love my Pelican cases for shipping scuba equipment. I use UPS or FedEx Ground. Tanks have to be empty as mentioned above. The case I use is phenomenal for shipping. Enclosed are 2 pics. Yes as you can see, my tanks travel first class.:):):):)
P.S. I take the valves off (not in this picture).
P.S. 2 Those are double LP50s. Plate and Wing. They fit in the Pelican like a glove.
IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

Hi guys, I know this thread is for a different purpose but I hope you don’t mind if I ask a couple questions.

I’m looking to get a hard case, probably Pelican for a carry on case to protect my expensive gear. I’m most definitely looking at the Pelican 1535 Air for the reduced weight as opposed to the 1510. Most airliners let you have a maximum of 10kg carry on allowance and the 1510 weighs 6.2kg........ so it would have to be the Air coming in at 4.2kg, and that still only leaves me with 5.8kg.... Of course I will weigh them myself but does anyone think all of my gear (30lbs wing and SS plate with regs and GoPro stuff) will fit inside and be under weight limit?

Now, does anybody have the 1535 Air/ 1510? And can anybody tell me if it would fit a halcyon Eclipse 30 lbs with SS backplate and have adequate room for some more stuff, like regs and GoPro stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom