Tank Size in Dive Computer Dive Planner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RogueClimber

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just got a Suunto EON Core

When I enter the tank size in the dive planner should I enter 80cuft or 77cuft (assuming 3000psi)?

Well, it you want accurate data on gas consumption (the reason to enter the tank size to begin with), you should enter what you are diving. If it is an AL80 such as a standard Luxfer or a Catalina, enter 77 (or 78, since the nominal content is 77.4). If you enter a higher value than the cylinder contents, your calculated gas consumption will be greater than actual.

your calculated gas consumption will be greater than actual.

And hence on the conservative, "safer," side :)

And hence on the conservative, "safer," side :)
True. Entering a larger than actual cylinder value will result in a higher than actual gas consumption value (CFM). And, if a dive is planned on the basis of a higher than actual CFM, the planned time will be a shorter (as long as the actual cylinder volume is taken into consideration), and therefore conservative.

Of course, the actual dive time should be determined by actual gas consumption (PSI), rather than an estimated 'time remaining' based on calculated gas consumption.

Yes, use metric and do away with this cubic feet nonsense. Only thing you would need to change is maybe an SPG.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom