Tank sizes when diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSDT476614

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Lately I've seen more and more divers, usually newer divers, request for larger and larger tanks. AL80s are the 'standard' by and large. Requests come in for 100s and now 120s and 130s.

Most common reason given: "I need it to feel comfortable since I'm draining out the 80s."
Most commonly seen underwater for those who request or insist on larger tanks: averaging 15 breathing cycles a minute with outliers at 25.

Should divers learn to relax while underwater and breathe slowly or be encouraged/allowed to continue (by supplying larger and larger tanks) to come close to hyper-ventilation and 'still have enough air left?'

For the more educated on the topic of DCS (not me) will breathing that much more gas at depth, say 50% more by comparing 80s to 120s will there be an adverse impact on the diver using the larger tank? Easier chance of DCS or same? Two assumptions. First being same size/height/weight approximately and second differing stats.

Thanks in advance for the constructive inputs! :D

Gas consumption is very personal. Divers usually improve with experience, but some will always use more than others. The average, once a year vacation diver, will probably never have a great SAC rate.

I use larger tanks than my sons because I will never match them on consumption. This allows us to stay together without their sacrificing dive time for the old guy.

On deeper wreck dives we all use larger tanks with the appropriate gas mix to get more time on the wreck. If I dive 120s and they dive 100s the times are close.

You may be seeing a higher proportion of casual vacation divers due to your location.

Most inexperienced diver want bigger tanks because they are gas hogs, however as they improve their sac rate the bigger tanks will afford them more dive time(limiting their dive by deco). I like bigger tanks for the reserve capabilities, I can usually do a deco dive at 130 and still have 1400psi when I board the boat. It's nice to have extra gas and not need it vice need more gas and not have it:)

Very interesting set of questions. My comments:
Lately I've seen more and more divers, usually newer divers, request for larger and larger tanks. AL80s are the 'standard' by and large. Requests come in for 100s and now 120s and 130s.
I don't think it is at all unheard of for new(er) divers, who recognize that their air consumption is relatively high - frequently higher than their more experienced dive buddies - to attempt to address their concerns about either short bottom times or potentially rurning out of air, by requesting a larger cylinder. I did that, years ago, and purchased a 120 right after certification, for those very reasons. It is a new(er) diver phenomenon. There are mutliple SB threads on the subject, often started by newer divers lamenting their high air usage and asking for advice. And, the fairly common set of responses usually includes, 'It will get better over time, as you relax and become more comfortable', along with comments about optimizing weighting, buoyancy control, trim, finning style, exposure protection, gear configuration (streamlining), etc., etc.

Why you are seeing more of this recently is possibly a reflection of a) you becoming more aware of it, b) the experience profile of divers that you are encountering has shifted - to a lower level of prior experience, c) new(er) divers being more aware that larger (than 80cf) cylinders are available, d) dive operations actually beginning to use / have available larger cylinders. I don't know that human physiology has changed, or that more divers are finishing OW with poorer skills (although I feel confident that some will chime in that such is obviously the case). Of course, in the absence of any discerniblle reason, I would conclude that this is the result of global warming - after all, virtually everything else is.
Most commonly seen underwater for those who request or insist on larger tanks: averaging 15 breathing cycles a minute with outliers at 25.
Normal adult resting respiratory rate: 12 - 20 / min. The 'outliers' are that, but tachypnea among anxious people underwater is fairly common.
Should divers learn to relax while underwater and breathe slowly or be encouraged/allowed to continue (by supplying larger and larger tanks) to come close to hyper-ventilation and 'still have enough air left?'
I don't consider this to be an 'either / or' situation. Most definitely, divers should be reassured that this is not uncommon in new(er) divers and will improve with time, more experience, and continued skill development, and that they should actively work to breathe slowly and deeply - in fact to practice that technique on land as well as in the water. I don't have a particular problem with new(er) divers using a larger cylinder as long as that is not the only solution employed, and they simply continue to breathe, swim, fin, and rig their gear the same way, without any attempt at modification. It is something that I try to address during OW training - beginning in CW - but I also tell students that relatively high gas consumption is to be expected at first.
For the more educated on the topic of DCS (not me) will breathing that much more gas at depth, say 50% more by comparing 80s to 120s will there be an adverse impact on the diver using the larger tank? Easier chance of DCS or same? Two assumptions. First being same size/height/weight approximately and second differing stats.
Theoretically, the nitrogen loading for a diver consuming 120 cf of air, at a given depth over a given bottom time, should be greater than that of a diver consuming only 80 cf of air under the same conditions. Given that a) most recreational dive tables and computer algorithms are rather conservative to begin with, and b) the incidence of DCS among recreational divers is rather low to begin with, I would not personally be concerned about a likelihood of harm. But, maybe I am just oblivious.

Last edited:
If you need more gas, get a bigger tank and "forget about" your SAC.
Bring the right tool. If the right tool is a 100 cuft tank instead of an 80 cuft tank, then bring the 100...

Also, what tank size is "standard" varies with location. Yes, for "tropical vacation diving" al80 is the standard, but around here where I live the 15l 200/230 bar tanks (106/122 cuft actual volume of air) are what people mostly use..

There is also a stronger shift in the paradigm of gas management with the evolution of "rock bottom" into the recreational realm. Take that AL80 we have dove for years (or, how about those steel 72's?). Using "newer" standards of gas management, the dive is either really shallow, or really, realy, really short. Dives utilizing square profiles because of tables use has also evolved into longer times underwater with computer use.

As stated above, there are also more "holiday" divers......

Gas consumption is an individual thing.

Is is better to let a gas hog run out of air, or is it better to let them use a bigger tank?

Is is better for someone to recognize that they need a bigger tank, or for someone to run out of air?

There is nothing wrong with someone using a bigger tank while they are working on reducing their air consumption.

There are many reasons for using a bigger tank. For instance:

I have this thing I call my "Air-Consumpterator." It is a special gadget that dramatically increases my air consumption, and I take it on nearly every dive. It's made by Nikon and it's a D300s digital SLR camera. I do not touch the reef, and so maneuvering to get those shots does cause me to go through my gas quicker. Is the solution to cut my dive short when I still have plenty of NDL, or get a bigger tank?

My girlfriend has a SAC that is half of my SAC. Since we use Nitrox, we're always limited by my gas and not by NDLs. When I hit 700 p.s.i. she is still at > 1,500 p.s.i. and we still have plenty of time on our NDL. Is the solution for her to get a smaller tank, or for me to get a bigger tank?

There are lots of reasons to get a bigger tank. And frankly the size of my tank is none of your business.

Last edited:
Increasing tank size to match ones buddy makes good sense, and shows an intrest in gas management. The only issue that I could see would be from a pair of newbies that are task loaded / narked / or just oblivious, with enough air to put them in deco on the first dive without being "low on air"; of course that could happen on the second dive with an 80 if they didn't see the impending issue during the SI.

As for relaxing, breathing properly, and having their kit in order, they all help but it takes time and there is a limit. During the transition it is much easier to grab a bigger tank, since they are available now, than peanalizing the other buddy. It seems to me that this practice encourages more experienced divers to go out with less experienced divers since it will not cut the dive short.

Bob
------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

You use what you need and you use what you have. If you only have an AL80, you get less bottom time. Simple fact. For those of us who are still gas hogs (or will never stop being gas hogs) going to a bigger tank makes sense. Most of my dives (on AL80s) are in the 30-45 minute range because I can still crank through a tank, whether I'm at 20 feet or 85 feet doesn't seem to make a lot of difference, which is just plain weird. My longest dive was about 60 minutes at Blue Heron Bridge (average depth ~15 feet) and my shortest was at 30 feet in cold water, just over 22 minutes or something like that. My 90 foot dives in West Palm averaged around 30 minutes. I was happy with every single one of them. That said, having a 100 or a 120 on my back might have been nice too.

I restarted diving with an old ST72. When I realized I was getting close did to being the reason my buddy had to cut a dive short, I looked at a lot of tank sizes, LP85 HP100 and picked a ST HP 100 after a guy told me that there is no such thing as too much air.

Back
Top Bottom