Tank that has been engraved

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny thing is, if one looks at it as an unauthorized marking then the tank should be condemned since only the tank manufacturer and hydro shop are authorized to put markings on a tank. However, if you think of it as a scratch, it is probably legal since it (if really as trival as you describe it) isn't deep enough to condemn the tank since the limit for tank gouges is .020 to .030 (depending on material and manufacturer). If it is really as trivial as you say, it should be possible to polish it out using a not-to-aggressive abrasive, or just cover it up with a sticker. But if it is deeper, that could be dangerous!

I sure wouldn't take a grinder of similar power tool to it, because then you will be removing significant amount of metal, to say nothing of leaving a wavy surface that will be a dead giveaway that it was done.

Note that getting a dive shop's opinion will not be a totally satisfactory solution, as every dive shop it is ever taken to for a fill for the rest of its life will have its own opinion, some may fill it and others some won't, - and some will try to condemn it on the spot!

-should have made my post more clear. Hand grinder with a soft wire cup-brush will polish the surface enough that the paint will do the rest, if not, it's toast.

Didn't mean to imply that you should use a grinder then a cup-brush.

Hand grinder & wire cup-brush, repaint.

YIKES!

DO NOT grind the side of your cylinder, you may dangerously weaken the sidewall.

Whether or not your engraving can condemn the cylinder depends on the measured depth and measured cumulative length of the engraving, as well as the manufacturer of the cylinder. I don't have the specs in front of me, but any cylinder inspector will have the resources available to them.

Personally I would not test a tank that had engraving on the sidewall. Is the possibility of weakening the sidewall of a tank that is service rated to 3000psi worth a pretty engraved flower? IMHO, Just get another tank and chalk it up to experience. The hydro stamps are applied in the crown of the cylinder (and ONLY the crown). Marking a hydro date in the sidewall of a tank is at least a huge fine from the DOT and possibly a revocation of RIN number.

the pics would be great. Like I said I would like to have them for my class on Feb 24th if possible!

Sorry, no pics. The guy condemed the tanks. He wanted $25 for my friend to get the tanks back and he told him to....well take a guess.

Sorry, no pics. The guy condemed the tanks. He wanted $25 for my friend to get the tanks back and he told him to....well take a guess.

Even if a hydro re-tester condemns your tank, it is still your tank (unless you've made some other deal like he keeps the tank and you don't pay him for the hydro). Go get your tank; your wife might enjoy the engraving. The re-tester should be stamping the tank "CONDEMNED" or XXXing over the DOT certification.

"...hold on while I call the cops and tell them you wont give me my property back unless I pay."

What was your friend thinking?

I doubt that a "condemed" tank becomes the property of the person at the shop who says its "condemed". If so, whats to stop the shop employee from claiming all tanks are condemed / refusing to give them back and turning them for a profit?

When we visually inspect a tank, we are supposed to remove stickers and note any indications, including repainting, that an attempt has been made to hide flaws. Lots of stickers do get left on, especially things like nitrox stickers, etc. If the inspector suspects that there might be something wrong under it, though, he or she should definitely remove it. Indications of any kind of grinding would be a real red flag. A straight edge is applied to the edge of the cylinder all the way around to look for bows, indentations, depressions, etc.

This should be taken very seriously. The dive shop worker who is in the room when a tank explodes will not be amused to learn that a flaw that should have disqualified the tank was successfully hidden.

A tank that does not pass inspection should be returned to its owner. The owner has the right to get a second opinion.

Back
Top Bottom