Tank trailer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UWSojourner

Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody know where to get a "tank trailer"? I'm thinking of something to load a tank onto (preferably two at a time) to move them around. Hopefully it would be compact enough for travel to boat dives, etc. Currently I'm using mostly 8" diameter tanks so the trailer would have to fit them.

Thanks.

Are you talking about something like a luggage cart that will easily hold something like 2 scuba tanks upright so you could easily pull them down the dock behind you while walking?

I've often thought of "inventing" my own. Take a heavy duty foldable luggage carrier and mount a wood "box" at the bottom that will hold the bottom of two tanks. Near the top of the tank mount a two "U" holder that can craddle the tank into. Put in some straps or stetch cords to hold the tanks in the upper craddles and off you go pulling them down the dock.

However, a goodle search found a tank and gear bag cart already made, but it's over $200. They have different models to choose from. But for $200, this looks like a piece of plywood with wheels and a few straps. I think I could my a "custom" cart myself that I like better. However, it does look like it folds up nice and flat which makes it easy to stow and put in the trunk of the car.
http://www.tortugascuba.com

They seem to be a somewhat unkown company. I've never seen anyone carry their stuff and never heard a review on them.

I bought something like this (4th item down):
http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs...yKey=1700&REQ_SUB_CAT=Convertible Hand Trucks

If you get one of those Rubbermaid 'tough-tote' bins, you can fit 4 tanks in it and transport them all down to your vehicle in one run. Also good for sets of doubles, multiple gear bags, bins full of deco tanks, coolers, and the rest of the road trip necessaries...

mike_s:
Are you talking about something like a luggage cart that will easily hold something like 2 scuba tanks upright so you could easily pull them down the dock behind you while walking?

Yes, that's the idea. I was hoping for something pretty light weight. I'll look into what you and Doc have posted. Thanks.

UWSojourner:
Anybody know where to get a "tank trailer"? I'm thinking of something to load a tank onto (preferably two at a time) to move them around. Hopefully it would be compact enough for travel to boat dives, etc. Currently I'm using mostly 8" diameter tanks so the trailer would have to fit them.

Thanks.

Check this out
Cart 1
Cart 2
Cart 3
Cart 4

GADriver:

Thanks for the pics! That type of setup is what I had in mind, except maybe able to carry 2 8" tanks. I dive steel tanks mostly - have you found out what the weight capacity of your setup might be? That is PVC pipe, isn't it?

UWSojourner:
Thanks for the pics! That type of setup is what I had in mind, except maybe able to carry 2 8" tanks. I dive steel tanks mostly - have you found out what the weight capacity of your setup might be? That is PVC pipe, isn't it?

I don't know what weight it will carry. I found these pics on the net awhile back. It should be pretty easy to modify since it is just made out of PVC.

derwoodwithasherwood:
Why not just get a standard fridge dolly from any hardware store and add a strap or two?
I'm trying to get something light/compact for travel to sites. Ideally, it would be something that broke down into easily stowed pieces (like the pictures showing that PVC setup).

I made one out of a luggage cart by bolting on an aluminum plate wide enough to sit 2 tanks on and a quick release strap to hold them in place. I'll try to post a picture of it.

Captain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom