Tank Visuals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ehuber

Contributor
Reaction score
Do I need to have a LDS perform a viz/hydro on my new steel 130s before I assemble my doubles rig, or can I assume the inspection prior to sale is sufficient?

I purchased them through Leisurepro.com and they arrived with a plastic insert in the tank but no instructions on viz/hydro requirements.

ehuber:
Do I need to have a LDS perform a viz/hydro on my new steel 130s before I assemble my doubles rig, or can I assume the inspection prior to sale is sufficient?

I purchased them through Leisurepro.com and they arrived with a plastic insert in the tank but no instructions on viz/hydro requirements.
Nobody can answer this except your fill station, since it's their call as to what they will or will not fill.

Legally, you can put air in anything that's in hydro, which I assume the new tanks are. Shop policies and high %O2 mixes are a different story and may require additional cleaning and/or bumper stickers from the shop you'll be using.

Terry

The fact that the initial hydro is within a year should be good enough. O2 clean is another matter.

Hydro - No, every 5 years. They will have an initial hydro from the factory.
Visual - Depends as Terry (WebMonkey) notes.

As part of the hydro a visual inspection is done. This is a valid visual inspection. Shops should honor this if the hydro was within the past year and there is gas in the cylinder as the hydro stamp is evidence of an inspection. However, many shops feel that if a cylinder is devoid of pressure that before filling it a visual is necessary.

Now given that you did not buy your cylinders from the shop you are about to take them to for their first fill and the there is no other evidence of an inspection other than the hydro I am will to bet that they will want to hit you up for a visual inspection times two. And unless LP put a sticker on the cylinder I doubt that they performed anytype of inspection.

So what to do? Well I am in the same position. Expect I also happen to be a PSI inspector. I just got a couple of cylinders that came O2 clean as did the manifold. I also have another set that I just got hydro'ed and recleaned them to O2 standards. As such I will put my own Visual Inspection Sticker on both sets and go fill them. Also helps that my shops know me. In your case if want the same you are probably going have to pay some one to O2 clean them as unless the the cylinders and manifold came to me directly I would not put an O2 clean inspection on them.

If you plan to fill them with just air I would find someone with a transfill whip and get a little air in them and the head off to the shop. That said even with some air but no visual some shops will baulk as there is no sticker - this even though the hydro is valid evidence.

Any shop can reserve the right not to fill an empty cylinder without looking inside. You need to check with the shop that will be filling them. The transfill whip is a good work around.

Pete

rookers:
The fact that the initial hydro is within a year should be good enough. O2 clean is another matter.

The original hydro may not be within a year. I have a friend that bought a tank from LP and the original hydro was over 2 years old. Beware when buying tanks from LP.

It's common for tanks that are still on the shelf after a year to be steeply discounted by various suppliers as there is now only 4 years left on the hydro and it is hard to sell it as "new" when newer tanks are in the rack. This tends to be the kind of stuff that finds it's way to Leisure pro.

Except that the tank my friend bought wasn't discounted. He paid brand new tank price. I have bought older hydro tanks for a discount from Joel at TDL.

... so let me get this straight:

The LDS MAY want to inspect the two tanks of my doubles rig by removing the manifold/bands so they can see inside a tank that has already been inspected to protect them from liability that the hydro has already legally released them from... or they may not depending on their mood.

Sounds fair to me, but I'll be certain to avoid bending over while I'm at the LDS... since they've apparently re-defined fair.

Two questions;

1. Is the hydro stamped into the cylinder and is the date within the last 5 years?

2. Is there a VIP sticker on the cylinder?

Most shops (at least the 3 I've been with) will not fill a cylinder if the the hydro and the VIP are not current.

Salaam

Chris

Back
Top Bottom