Tank Visuals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ehuber:
... so let me get this straight:

The LDS MAY want to inspect the two tanks of my doubles rig by removing the manifold/bands so they can see inside a tank that has already been inspected to protect them from liability that the hydro has already legally released them from... or they may not depending on their mood.

Sounds fair to me, but I'll be certain to avoid bending over while I'm at the LDS... since they've apparently re-defined fair.

Hydros are done once every 5 years. VIPs are done once a year. VIPs are done to ensure that the inside of the tank hasn't taken on any water and started to corrode. If you bring an empty tank in for me to fill, I will be concerned about why it's empty. Sure you can tell me your just bought them and they haven't been used yet. But how do I know this is true? How do I know you aren't just saying that? How do I know you didn't drain the tanks on your last dive and let water in which has now corroded the steel and made the tank unsafe to fill?

Let's say the tanks and valves were oxygen cleaned. Since the cleaning, you brought them to a shop that doesn't have oxygen clean air and got them filled several times. Now you take them back to a shop that does PPB to get nitrox. The tank monkey connects the oxygen to the valve, cranks it open and BOOM, the adiabiatic heating and high oxygen content causes the hydrocarbons to ignite. The proper thing for the shop that was pumping air into your tanks would have been to remove the oxygen service label and replace it with a label that states the tanks are not oxygen serviced.

Unfortunately there are a lot of shops out there that don't follow strict standards. There are a lot of shops that don't even know the standards for doing PPB fills. I'm not saying it's right for the shop to be bending you over, but they do need to look out for their own safety.

Actually Im surprised any shop will fill a tank with a LP sticker on it knowing they were bought online (they hate that) and that they know were shipped without the valves on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom