Target Heart Rate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, I am home alone so it doesn't help much. Guess I will just have to exercise some more, or chew ice.

I'm running every day ...almost.
I have a formula for you, but remember I'm not a Doctor.
Start with a slow run and:
First, you must take your heart rate for 3 mornings in a row before getting up from bed.Before getting up from the bed.
Once you have those numbers, take the average of the sum:
1st Morning + 2nd Morning + 3rd Morning = X
Divided by 3 = Morning Resting Heart Rate (MRHR)
This is the single best indicator of your state of fitness.Every once in a while, at least once every two/three weeks.If you improves, you will most likely see that number going down, down, down.
If you see an elevated number, it could mean the following:
- You did not recover from a hard workout the day before(Parties, beer)
- You need more rest(Sleep)
- Your body has begun fighting off an oncoming illness(Oh yeah.....you can know before coming :) )
This is an important information, especially on days when you have a hard workout planned. You may have to adjust your expectations for that workout, or put it off for the next day when you are better rested.
Now keep going with the formula.....

Which is your Target Zones:
60-70% Builds endurance, recommended for recovery
70-80% Good for tempo workouts
80+ Interval workouts and AT training

220 minus your age (A)= estimated max hr (HRMx)
HRMx minus MRHR= (C)
Now we need to find us "personal" target zones

(C) X .60 = (D) D + MRHR = ( ) 60% limit number
(C) X .70 = (E) E + MRHR = ( ) 70% limit number
(C) X .80 = (E) E + MRHR = ( ) 80% limit number
Example:
Azotino is 38 years old and his morning resting hr is 38.
220 minus 38 = 182
182 minus 38 = 144
144 X .60 = 86 86 + 38 = (129)
144 X .70 = 101 101 + 38 = (139)
144 X .80 = 115 115 + 38 = (113)

But the best is: visit a sports clinic and get your AT tested.
If you are just starting to exercise, or are trying to take your exercise to a high level, you should check with your doctor to make sure that it is safe for you to do so.

coach_izzy:
Fallacy! Circulatory lipids broken down does NOT equate Fat (lipocyte) burning. Perhaps the most misinterpreted piece of science. Debunked by Dr. Mel C. Siff, Michael Yessis, and many more.

Fallacy! "max fat burn" occurs during REST!! yes, REST! "The metabolism of fats furnishes about two thirds of the energy we require at rest" (Siff, Mel C. Supertraining, Pg 79) Another poorly understood and mangled fact.

20 minutes of "cardio" 3 times per week should be sufficient IF done properly. Doing so involves going well beyond the "target" areas, and is NOT pleasant physically, though the conditioning it produces is far superior to traditional training modalities.

OK>>>Im going to bed now!

I bought a heart rate monitor when taking a weight loss class....I thought my dreams had come true when the fitness instructor told me I was working out too hard and not eating enough...so I walk a lot within my zone...work a couple of days on anaerobic thresholds so I don;t have a heart attack when I run up the stairs ( or have to outswim a shark-LOL) and also dedicate some time to flexibility..I try to eat small ammounts more often....no weight loss.....Im doomed!

Back
Top Bottom