Target Heart Rate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coach Izzy, 200?? wow, that is amazing.... RHR is in line with a well conditioned athlete however the 200 is a little concerning...

Vayu,
I think the heart-rate thing is more voodoo than science

There are a lot of inaccurate ideas floating around about heart rate training, largely due to overly simplistic, formulaic approaches that disregard the needs and goals of the individual.

I'm going to throw this title out there again... "The Heart Rate Monitor Book for Cyclists" by Sally Russell and Sally Reed.

Heart rate training helps me reach my cycling goals, making my training more efficient, and provides an excellent indicator for overtraining, the bane of everyone seriously pursuing an athletic goal.

Knowing your Max Heart Rate is important, but a high max heart rate by itself is not an indicator of fitness. By establishing your MHR, you can plan your workouts more productively. For example, on my long distance days, I'm going to ride at
70% to 75% of my MHR. I'll ride for 8 to 12 hours at this rate, no problem.

On my shorter training rides, I'll maintain intervals up to 95% of my MHR.

If my heart rate tends to go higher than usual on a typical training ride, it may be in indicator of fatigue or insufficient recovery from my last ride.

It isn't voodoo. It is science. Check it out.

Steve

SteveDiver:
Coach Izzy, 200?? wow, that is amazing.... RHR is in line with a well conditioned athlete however the 200 is a little concerning...

It indeed shocks a lot of people, though I have to say I see it quite often during peaking periods (my MMA people usually get there 2 weeks prior to their fights, then reduce the intensity to allow further recovery, this gives them wind to spare during their bouts)

It's not done often though, I would say no more than 4 times a year at the peak of a program, if the capacity is required for that particular sport. I most definitely DO NOT recommend this type of training to any beginners, or even intermediates. I only reserve it for highly conditioned athletes and only if their sports demands it.

Steve Egner:
Vayu,

There are a lot of inaccurate ideas floating around about heart rate training, largely due to overly simplistic, formulaic approaches that disregard the needs and goals of the individual...

Heart rate training helps me reach my cycling goals, making my training more efficient, and provides an excellent indicator for overtraining...

Knowing your Max Heart Rate is important, but a high max heart rate by itself is not an indicator of fitness...

If my heart rate tends to go higher than usual on a typical training ride, it may be in indicator of fatigue or insufficient recovery from my last ride...

It isn't voodoo. It is science. Check it out.

Steve

Another Excellent post! Thank you Steve. You've brought up more excellent points. You're an athlete engaged in a activity that demands high aerobic and lactate capacity, and the highlights of your training indicate that you're doing the right thing, and more important, you know why you're doing it! Keep training smart and having fun!

I've always used the monitors on the machines, but figured they weren't that accurate.

I too am amazed at the numbers they read.. That was the reason for starting this thread. I really expected to hear: "the heart rate monitors connected to the equipment are crap, and not at all accurate.." Which never came up.

I do not have my own HR monitor, although I have been researching, so I have nothing to compare it to. I have taken my own pulse using the machines timer for 6 seconds and multiply by 10, and the number is right around what the machine says. I would doubt my accurracy before the machines.

Yes, if you look at me I am working VERY hard.. but.. I am not experiencing any pain, dizziness, etc. I drink ~ 20 ozs. of water during the workout, and my breathing is kept at the "labored" point. I can talk to people, just not long conversations.

My resting heartrate (taken during the day) is around 65. My BP is 110/60 or there abouts.

I am in good [OK, fair] shape (round is a shape) aerobically.. Just WAY overweight. All the other tests, bloodwork, etc. always check out fine..

So, I am a really healthy fat person... wanting to get to be a really healthy "FIT" person...

countryboy:
I've always used the monitors on the machines, but figured they weren't that accurate.

I am in good [OK, fair] shape (round is a shape) aerobically.. Just WAY overweight. All the other tests, bloodwork, etc. always check out fine..

So, I am a really healthy fat person... wanting to get to be a really healthy "FIT" person...

Dennis, the HR monitors built into a lot of equipment are built more for those going at easy paces. You will notice how trying to get your HR through the machine during intervals is hard and distracting, thus there's a higher chance of getting inconistent readings. Better get your own. You can carry it with you anywhere. Your basic Polar HR monitor is more than sufficient.

Keep working at it! You're still new but the results will come along. Focus on your work, your nutrition, and your recovery (which includes good restful sleep) and the rest just comes on its own

I am really surprised to say that I am comfortable at higher rates even in just a week. Now I am going at 160 and it is quite tolerable.

catherine96821:
I am really surprised to say that I am comfortable at higher rates even in just a week. Now I am going at 160 and it is quite tolerable.

Great Catherine! to me it is like getting high! love the feeling....especially after an intense workout... It is kind of like an aphrodisiac! Am I the only one this happens to?

I know that there are treadmills with the handgrip touch pads for monitoring your HR that don't give a reading if the treadmill speed exceeds a certain point (3.5 mph IIRC).
If you have a chest strap on, it will read at all speeds.

coach_izzy:
Dennis, the HR monitors built into a lot of equipment are built more for those going at easy paces. You will notice how trying to get your HR through the machine during intervals is hard and distracting, thus there's a higher chance of getting inconistent readings. Better get your own. You can carry it with you anywhere. Your basic Polar HR monitor is more than sufficient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom