Taxi Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manta_man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I understand that tipping is a personal thing, but are the taxi drivers expecting a tip after delivering a fare. The rates are supposed to be set by the distance i.e. Caletta would cost more than Blue Angle from Chedraui but is there an expected propina on top of the fare? I always take care of my DM and boat captain, and usually the cab driver. I just would like clarification on the how the locals tip taxis.

Not a local by any means, but I've been there a few times. I'll tip if they help me with bags or groceries, but for just a ride, I think their fare is plenty. JMHO.

I have read from others here on SB that they do not tip the taxis. Now the shuttle van may be different, I get mixed results on that one. I usually tip the shuttle van driver, but only the taxi if they help with groceries and the bags.

SOP is not to tip. I tip when the driver helps with cargo (many only open & close the trunk), is unusually engaging/entertaining, or for a long drive within a low fare zone -- for example, from my home near the airport road & the waterfront to the Red Cross on Ave. 65 South & Calle 25 is a big distance that costs only 25 pesos.

I always tip. Usually 1 dollar US.

And fare is not based on distance, as much as destination. From my house to the golf course is 110 pesos. From the golf course to my house is 80 pesos. They do have a chart with "zones" so ask when you get in and they'll show you. I sometimes tip, sometimes not, based on service.

If the guy is only making $6 to drive me and my two buddies from the BA to town or back, I don't think adding a buck is going to break the bank here at home (figured on 10 or so cab rides during the week), but might make a difference to the cab driver if every fare of his day adds an extra buck! Most of the cabbies we rode with were nice and seemed amused at our pathetic attempts to converse in spanish as well!

Not a local either, but I usually tip them $1. Unless suddenly the rate I've been paying to the Caleta every morning has gone up inexplicably. Then I tell them I'll be paying the usual rate and they get no tip. Only had one guy in 3 trips try to pull that stunt though, so it's rare in my experience.

I'm a pretty generous tipper though. I tip just about everybody when I'm on vacation. :p

I always tip. Usually 1 dollar US.
Me too...
Except payment for humping bags on the colectivo when we arrive and the dreaded taxi ride to the airport on the way home. I usually give a couple of bucks to those gents.
FWIW I give a buck a bag to the rickshaw guys over in Playa if we go that route. Those guy's really work for those few bucks!

I have read from others here on SB that they do not tip the taxis. Now the shuttle van may be different, I get mixed results on that one. I usually tip the shuttle van driver, but only the taxi if they help with groceries and the bags.
Same here. I tip a taxi driver if he goes above and beyond the call in some way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom