Taxi Tour of Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubagal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are traveling with friends to Cozumel and a couple of them have never been there. On our last day we would like to visit San Gervasio, possibly the tequila factory and/or the Butterfly Sanctuary, have lunch at Coconuts, and make a stop at El Mirador for photos. In the past we have always rented a car but thought it might be nice to leave the driving to someone else so we could have more than one drink at Coconuts. There are 7 of us. Are there full size vans available with a driver/guide? Any suggestions?

I was on a cruise last week with my Mom and we did a shore excursion in Cozumel. Our guide was so knowledgeable about the Mayans and gave us a lot of information at San Gervasio. He was a guide only though but I assume we could arrange a van & driver. I have his contact information but have not emailed him yet.

Thanks in advance!

We are traveling with friends to Cozumel and a couple of them have never been there. On our last day we would like to visit San Gervasio, possibly the tequila factory and/or the Butterfly Sanctuary, have lunch at Coconuts, and make a stop at El Mirador for photos. In the past we have always rented a car but thought it might be nice to leave the driving to someone else so we could have more than one drink at Coconuts. There are 7 of us. Are there full size vans available with a driver/guide? Any suggestions?

There are plenty of taxi vans on the island that can accommodate your group, and it's very easy to set it up. Go to a taxi stand (there's one by the ferry dock and another a few blocks south, pick out a cab you like, and make a deal with the driver. Most of them speak English and are very used to doing exactly what you are looking to do. I used to rent a vehicle and drive my group around, but I got tired of being the "daddy", so now we hire a cab for the day to drive us around. The drivers usually have friends everywhere we stop, and many places feed them for free. I have never felt rushed no matter how long we stay anywhere, and the cost is very reasonable, usually $15/person or so. I highly recommend it.

Over the years we have been on several taxi tours of the island which included the East Side Establishments and beach areas. However, often we arranged to visit whatever sights that are off the tourist grid such as local food stands, churches, construction sites and businesses. On one occasion we even made a stop to see the taxi drivers new washing machine. We truly appreciated that day as we knew how important it was to him. We also were treated to meeting this gentlemans parish priest and enjoying an impromptu music recital by the children of the church as well as the most delicious Flan made by the ladies organization. Have a great trip !!

Last edited:

I was on a cruise last week with my Mom and we did a shore excursion in Cozumel. Our guide was so knowledgeable about the Mayans and gave us a lot of information at San Gervasio. He was a guide only though but I assume we could arrange a van & driver. I have his contact information but have not emailed him yet.

Thanks in advance!

We were at the Park Royal back in May and wanted to do the same thing (only there were just two of us). Walked down to the cab stand and picked out a van (we wanted to stretch out during the tour), asked the very nice lady cab driver how much, she quoted us a price that we thought was reasonable (and consistent with what our research had shown to be fair - $70 for three hours), and off we went. It was a most enjoyable experience, as we had full control of our itinerary. We went a little over three hours (our fault, we love San Gervasio), and paid her accordingly, as well as adding in a tip.

We contrast that to the male cabbie that took us back to the airport the next day, and wanted $20 for that trip, and was very rude about it when we questioned him on it.

We hope your experience matches ours for your around the island adventure.

:cool2:

Thanks in advance!

Scubagal, I highly suggest that you add the Kaokao chocolate factory to your taxi tour plans. Very interesting, discounted chocolate, and free samples. How can you say no to that??? :)

A chocolate factory, on Cozumel, that gives out FREE CHOCOLATE!!! ead, you have made my day.

This is on my list!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom