TDI advanced nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

badgers

Contributor
Reaction score
any books or links so that I can read the material that would be covered in the advanced nitrox class offered by TDI?
I would like to know what the couse covers and try to figure out how practical it is for my needs.

if I were to go over 40% O2 would I need a different reg(dacor extreme plus)? can I get viton seat for the first stage and that be enough?
is the whole point of advanced nitrox to breath 100% O2 at your safety stop for more safety?

Does Trimix have any use between 100 -130 feet?

I don't know if I want to keep going with TDI education. I am in Madison, WI and everyone around here is a Tech/cave/wreck diver since that is all we have around here. This dive shop I am learning from is always gung ho on learn everything through Trimix.
I like learning and Math is easy for me, but if adv nitrox means that I need new regs then I am not ready for it yet. also, is 100% O2 that much of a benifit for a safety stop of 3-5min as opposed to just a 3-5 min safety stop on the nitrox mix I have in my tank?

thank you for your time and have a good day
did anyone read the story about grape seed extract anti-oxidents helping nitrox divers stand the higher partial pressure of 02?

thank you for your help

I found it strange when doing the TDI Coursework - never completed as I did not get round to the dives - that it covers you for 100% O2 but did not discuss accelerated deco.

Our dive planning was using nitrox for deco on air stops. Not such a bad idea as it gives extra safety but I did find it strange that it did not go into accelerated deco.

Now I am just about to complete IANTD Adv Nitrox (hopefully this weekend) which I find a much more suitable course - IMHO.

Jonathan

Originally posted by badgers
if I were to go over 40% O2 would I need a different reg(dacor extreme plus)? can I get viton seat for the first stage and that be enough?

I'm not sure about that specific reg, but you should be able to get it O2 cleaned, and it'll be ready to go.

Is the whole point of advanced nitrox to breath 100% O2 at your safety stop for more safety?

That's how I would view the class. Breathing O2 at 20' will speed up you deco as well as increase off gassing of nitrogen.

Does Trimix have any use between 100 -130 feet?

Sure it does. A 30/30 mix will give you a clearer head at depth, and you'll feel better post dive than you would using air (assuming you deco out right, of course). It'll make your regs breath better and reduce the likelihood of getting a CO2 fix. You'll be able to reduce the IP in your first stage(s), which will increase their reliablity, and you'll still regain the breathability of the reg.

Also, is 100% O2 that much of a benifit for a safety stop of 3-5min as opposed to just a 3-5 min safety stop on the nitrox mix I have in my tank?

Absolutely. You'll offgass a much greater rate if on pure O2 at 20' (1.6ATA) than if using nitrox or air. I also use 50/50 nitrox for a stop at 70' to help in off gassing deeper. The only thing you have to be aware of is you oxygen exposure for multiple dives (and even on a single dive depending on the time). Too much O2 at higher PPO2 can "burn" your lungs up and give you a congested feeling -- which will reduce the efficiency of offgasses..

Remember, equally important to proper deco gasses is a slow ascent from depth (less than 30fpm), using proper deep stops, and the very slow final ascent from 20' to the surface (about 5fpm). Don't forget that once you're on the surface, you're still offgassing and post dive exertion has to be avoided. If you do all of this -- the deco gasses, slow ascents, deep stops, and trimix -- you'll notice a tremendous difference in how you feel post dive.

Play around with V-Planner, GAP, or Deco Planner to see what kind of benefit you can get with various gasses. The TDI Adv. Nitrox cert. is OK once you know what it's good for. If I had to do it all over again, I would have skipped all the rec. classes and TDI classes and gone the GUE route and been done with it in two classes -- much cheaper in the long run (not to mention very good training).

Good luck.

Mike

Badger, it might be premature to jump on the technical bandwagon. Trimix diving is more than math. It also involves extra expense, level of care and risk. For what, a dive to 100 feet? Not worth it. Around these parts trimix and O2 are used on a few deep wrecks such as the Ocean Venture(250')but I haven't heard of it being used for rec diving.

At a minimum, you will need extra tanks and regulators, some cleaned and modified for high O2. You will need to obtain special, expensive computers, or tables with complex provisions for specific dive profiles and gases. You may need to get an expensive drysuit. After you join the new crowd you will find that you are under pressure to keep spending and upgrading to the latest toy.

If you are a young man, who has a life outside of diving, this decision may be an important juncture which could be entirely premature. Yet, if you want to dive locally, and tech diving is all there is, I understand where the pressure is coming from. Been there, done that. There was a price to pay.

I would like to know if you have a reference to the grape seed extract theory. When I was in and out of the chamber for a solid week of treatment I surreptiously took huge amounts of anti oxidents in the form of BHT, SOD and several other things, including grape seed, BTW. My history and subsequent rapid recovery was regarded as "interesting" and "unusual".

My theories on the healing of and unexplained relapses from DCS are too involved to present here. I'm already causing a bout of dyspepsia among the regulars anyway.(TIA)

Originally posted by Jonathan
I found it strange when doing the TDI Coursework - never completed as I did not get round to the dives - that it covers you for 100% O2 but did not discuss accelerated deco.

Our dive planning was using nitrox for deco on air stops. Not such a bad idea as it gives extra safety but I did find it strange that it did not go into accelerated deco.

Now I am just about to complete IANTD Adv Nitrox (hopefully this weekend) which I find a much more suitable course - IMHO.

Jonathan

I'm about to start an IANTD Adv. Nitrox course, but it's my understanding that IANTD's class only covers you for up to 50% O2.
Perhaps the TDI would be better if it would cover me for O2 levels up to 100%...

Yes IANTD does only cover for 50% nitrox as a deco gas and lower mixes as a bottom gas and has the appropriate tables for accelerated deco.

What it does not do is explain how to calculate your own accelerated deco if you just have air tables available - soes anyone have a good resource on that (other than software that is)?

It's hard enough for me to get nitrox in Japan as it is and by the time I get out of here I hope to be technical dive qualified and maybe trimix, so I am not really worried about the Adv Nitrox only going to 50%.

Also I had to switch as the only English speaking Tec Instructor I could find is IANTD - but I am glad I did as he is a good one.

Jonathan

are all trimix dives deco dives?

At this point, I am not ready to plan or execute deco dives. I dive my nitrox tank on air tables. I view nitrox an extra safety factor.

I was interest in trimix because of the clear head benifit, but I don't want to get into required deco stops.

call me a sissy, but it seems to increase the risk if I can not make an emergency assent without getting bent. I understand the other dangers with emergency assents so adding one more thing just does not help in my opinion.

here is the link with the grape seed extract
http://www.iantd.com/articles.html
the title of the article is
Eating For Scuba Diving Fitness: The Lesser Known Antioxidants - Part IV: Proanthocyanidins

thank you all for your help and have a good day

so there is no web site where I can read the info taught in the class? what about the:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0941332705/102-3569073-2462532

lost yooper
I would have skipped all the rec. classes and TDI classes and gone the GUE route and been done with it in two classes -- much cheaper in the long run (not to mention very good training).

what is GUE? is there a link to a wisconsin based training center?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom