TDI courses and ice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElBacio

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello,

"Common sense" says that the only course, which can be done while the water is covered with ice is Ice Diver Specialty.
But my student asked me to show him where in the standards it is written that it is not allowed to do at least part of the training (i.e. v-drill for Extended Range) under ice.

First, I though it is said by the expression "open water" in the ER course, as ice makes the water not opened. But then my student showed me that SDI Ice Diver specialty also refers to "open water".

So, according to TDI, what can be done under ice?
Of course, with all the ice-related support procedures.

Regards,

Hello,

"Common sense" says that the only course, which can be done while the water is covered with ice is Ice Diver Specialty...

I think you answered your own question! LOL

Actually there is nothing to stop you doing skills dives relating to a different course with a student as long as ALL the standards, parameters, checks and balances, and common sense are adhered to. As an example, it is perfectly acceptable for an appropriately experienced and certified instructor to conduct a trimix class in a cave environment provided the student is an experienced and certified full cave diver.

It is common in North Florida for cave instructors to teach TDI Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures in cavern and cave environments. The TDI cert is preferred over some other agency certs as it allows the use of 100% O2 rather than just 50% (which is not very useful as a deco gas in most N FL caves). As long as the student already has the required cave or cave certifications, they are not going beyond the limits of their training by doing the courses in a cave as opposed to open water.

The same argument applies to flight training - it is permissable to train a student pilot to fly in a multi-engined aircraft rather than in a much easier to fly single engine aircraft - provided they can demonstrate and properly perform all the required multi-engine skills on top of the normal student pilot skills before you have them solo the aircraft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom