TDI Deco Procedures in NY area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeskyMonkey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Good morning all,

Me and my wife have been diving for about a year, we live in NYC. Most of our diving is here in the Northeast. We went to Key Largo last month for our TDI AN/DP classes. We passed the AN portion, but due to numerous factors (6 foot seas every day) we were unable to complete the DP portion of the class. We could go back to finish it, but we really don't feel like taking another trip to Key Largo (we have taken 4 trips there in the last year). We are instead looking for a local instructor to complete the DP portion of the class.

We called a few local shops, but they actually told us we are better off returning to Florida for the class. One shop specifically mentioned that they have an instructor who COULD teach the course, but they are not a fan of conducting DP classes here, and actually take the students to south Florida to complete the class.

Does anyone have recommendations for for a good TDI DP teacher in the area? Would we be better off just going back to Key Largo?

Gilboa Quarry in NW Ohio goes down to 130ft. It’s used for a lot of Midwest tech training. If you’re willing to drive some, you might consider looking for an instructor that does classes there. Sounds like you just might need a weekend? Just another option to consider that isn’t a trip to Key Largo.

A few people/areas pop to mind

Danny Rivera out on Long Island has had good recommendations from friends. He runs a shop (Good Life Divers) and boat out of Lindenhurst.

Upstate, there is the 1000 islands region which has great diving. I don't know any TDI instructors up there, but if you give both Bob Sherwood (All About Scuba) or Dana Hunt (Hunts Dive Shop) they can point you in the right direction.

A few people/areas pop to mind

Danny Rivera out on Long Island has had good recommendations from friends. He runs a shop (Good Life Divers) and boat out of Lindenhurst.

Upstate, there is the 1000 islands region which has great diving. I don't know any TDI instructors up there, but if you give both Bob Sherwood (All About Scuba) or Dana Hunt (Hunts Dive Shop) they can point you in the right direction.
Being the later of the two, I know of a few different avenues you can go down.

Danny Rivera is a good one, there's a great TDI instructor also in the Catskills who does training between there and Jersey then comes to the river for final dives. (Joe Stellini)

Also out of Syracuse you have Jason Meany @ Deep Stop Scuba who runs a AN/DP class usually also.

If you'd like you can reach out to me and I'll put you in contact with any of them. My shop hosts a variety of instruction and classes here at the river. Typically it will be the final weekend of diving with all the classroom diving stuff done at home locations.

Dana

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom