TDI Extended Range - last words of advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I recall correctly, 130' was never chosen as the max depth for recreational diving based on END considerations ...

I would say you are correct because IRCC the limits are based solely on the PPO2.

For instance, the 135' (40 meter) limit is comes from the fact that at this depth the PPO2 is ~1atm and for those who wonder about 180' (55 meter) limit I believe the similar holds true. Except that the PPO2 is 1.35 which is just under the std max recommended PPO2 of 1.4 (at least by some agencies, other prefer lower limits).

Now for a little more science. CO2 is the thing that has the most immediate impact on the body's acid/base homeostasis (Ph). CO2 combines with the bodies water to form carbonic acid, and a free hydrogen ion. More CO2, the body becomes more acid.

Agree that more CO2 makes the body become more acidic but the bit in the middle of this quote is not quite correct.

Water will combine with carbon dioxide to form carbonic acid
(H2O +CO2 > H2CO3)
Carbonic acid is a weak acid and will partially dissociate to a bicarbonate ion (hydrogen carbonate) and a hydrogen ion
H2CO3 <---> H2CO3- + H+

i.e. you dont get carbonic acid AND a hydrogen ion.

Now back to the Deep Air trashfest.

Awesome! It went from a question, to a debate, to a chemistry lesson in 8 pages. :D

Going off to do my combined TDI Adv Nitrox / Deco Procedures / Extended Range course in the Dominican Republic on Sunday.

Any useful last words of advice from the tec veterans on the board?
Have fun! Give a day-to-day report on the class if you can. . .

Have fun Rhone Man! While you're out doing some real dives, I'm sure some of these other guys will go back to their little sandbox :)

Going off to do my combined TDI Adv Nitrox / Deco Procedures / Extended Range course in the Dominican Republic on Sunday.

Any useful last words of advice from the tec veterans on the board?

• Stick close to your buddy
  • Examine the dive plans closely and make sure you and your buddy have appropriate amounts of gas.
  • Bring a good U/W watch.
  • Depth and elapsed time are really important.
  • Stay hydrated and get enough sleep. You'll need it.
Terry

What if I had a leftover H ion from my last dive?

Cheers

JC

Agree that more CO2 makes the body become more acidic but the bit in the middle of this quote is not quite correct.

Water will combine with carbon dioxide to form carbonic acid
(H2O +CO2 > H2CO3)
Carbonic acid is a weak acid and will partially dissociate to a bicarbonate ion (hydrogen carbonate) and a hydrogen ion
H2CO3 <---> H2CO3- + H+

i.e. you dont get carbonic acid AND a hydrogen ion.

Now back to the Deep Air trashfest.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom