TDI Nitrox - differences with PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The nice thing about the TDI books is that you get pages and pages of useful tables in the schedules at the end. (The bad thing about them is, with the possible exception of Advanced Wreck, most of the ones I have seen could use a pretty aggressive editor to clean up the main body of the text.)

I have never seen a tec manual from PADI. Their Enriched Air manual is pretty enough, but it takes a long time to make a few basic points.

I did TDI Nitrox at a shop that usually does PADI training, think their reasoning was the same. I think my nitrox training was far more detailed than my buddy's, particularly in regards to dive planning. We had to do detailed dive plans and work it out all ourselves without tables. The teacher basically said if we wanted to use tables after the class that's cool but in class we could only use air tables and the formulas. The teacher also talked for a while on advanced nitrox diving + trimix diving and discussed some of the issues around that, he talked about gear requirements for more technical diving, talked about some of the things to consider when decompression diving, and went into a lot of detail around the physiology of nitrox diving.

Compared to my buddy, I think I got a lot more out of my nitrox course than he did. But, yea I might just have had a good instructor and my buddy not so good, not sure.

As stated by several posters, DM is a professional step forward. As a professional, you need to understand Nitrox at a professional level. That is, the physics and theory of it. The TDI class will get you well acquainted with that. I have both certification and teach Nitrox for PADI. This is a great class for the recreational diver who plans to dive on holiday. There is nothing wrong with a DM who only has the PADI EANx certification; however, would you consider yourself a subject matter expert (aka Dive Master) knowing there was a more in depth Nitrox course out there. My vote is for the TDI class.

If I remember correctly there are no dives to make in the TDI course..So from a shops POV time is money .....

If I remember correctly there are no dives to make in the TDI course..So from a shops POV time is money .....

PADI no longer requires dives either, I believe.

Hey your right..!!! ....I just looked...(I guess I live in a cave !!) :)

The nice thing about the TDI books is that you get pages and pages of useful tables in the schedules at the end. (The bad thing about them is, with the possible exception of Advanced Wreck, most of the ones I have seen could use a pretty aggressive editor to clean up the main body of the text.)

I have never seen a tec manual from PADI. Their Enriched Air manual is pretty enough, but it takes a long time to make a few basic points.

I have never seen a tec manual from PADI either but several tec instuctors declare them to be too verbose. Conversely, TDI's are consise and to the point IMO. If my advanced nitrox/decommpression manuals were "cleaned up" to any great extent they could then fit onto a single page flyer. :D

I am in the process of getting new girlfriend a proper dive education and confirmed this fact. They did offer a charter dive package though but not required...

As I recall... PADI doesn't touch on Dalton's law at all; SDI covers that in their book. A simple concept that makes partial pressure of gasses easier to understand.

Understanding how partial pressures work, is one of the important concepts for understanding nitrox diving. Nitrox diving is also a building block for technical diving, and for rebreather diving. Having a clear concept of nitrox is therefore important.
That's the only difference Ptotal= P1 + P2 + P3... Total pressure equals the sum of all of the partial pressures & that there is an inverse relationship between volume and pressure in an enclosed system with a constant . As volume decreases pressure increases and vice versa. If that the only difference between PADI and TDI you are not exactly selling TDI.

Back
Top Bottom